Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a new TV

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Looking for a new TV

Hi
So it is that time of year where everything gets reduced.
I'm looking at getting a new smart 3D TV.  Hopefully under £500.  From 40" to 46", not too fussed.
I've narrowed down to 4 possible options
LG 42LB700V (£499 in Currys/PCWorld
LG 42LB650V (£409 in Currys/PCWorld or John Lewis)
Samsung UE40H6400 (£399 in Currys/PCWorld or John Lewis)
Sony KDL-42W829 (£499 in Currys/PCWorld or John Lewis)
Has anyone had any experience with the above models, or any recommendations?
I've had a look on Which but all pretty basic and one or two are Best Buys.  
I'm also looking at getting a sound bar if any on special offer.  What is the benefit of an ARC HDMI port with sound bar?
Thanks
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
47 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Looking for a new TV

Problem is..........

Still gets the same old (repeated repeats) programmes that your old telly used to get  ! !  Cheesy
Did they used to make them old programmes in 3D or was it for 3d ( thruppence old money !)  Roll eyes
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Well that's the problem.
As I forgot to mention, I subscribe to Sky, and can receive their 3D channel!
Also the LG has a 2D to 3D converter, so I can watch everything in 3D if I wanted to!!
Smiley
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran

Shocked Huh Cheesy
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Would you recommend LG?
NE
Community Veteran

Who Me ?...... sorry... can`t do that.... never had any experience of them....  Huh Huh
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

What's your point in replying in to this thread then?  Crazy  Shocked
NE
Community Veteran

No-one else seems to be replying... and I didn`t want you to be ignored  Wink
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

There's plenty of review sites around which I can always visit. But I always want a view from someone who is not a reviewer and how they casually like the product (not paid by someone)
NE
Community Veteran

I agree.... and you can never be 100% certain of the "reviews" on those sites.... that they are "genuine" reviews from "real people", not connected with the site/product in any way, except as a consumer of that product...
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

+1
PowerLee
Rising Star

John Lewis 5 year guarantee on tv's & price match make it a better choice over Currys.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Yes i saw that and I prefer JL over their guarantee and no quibble returns if I don't like the product. 
However when I went in store today and see if they would price match the LG 42LB700V they refused to because the model is exclusive to Currys/PCWorld.  However the model is the same as LB730V which John Lewis stock.
It's a risk if I want to take that LG out which looks appealing and has good reviews.
However their is mixed feedback regarding the picture quality on that model, and it's an issue.  So if that happens to me, there is always the EU law on hand to return for an exchange or refund
NE
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Hmm...not got a 3D tv, nor any interest in getting one, but I remember somewhere in this forum, someone wanted to do something (vague again) and couldn't because it was restricted to samsung - because of licensing.
Not sure what it was but someone will remember.
Just something to (possibly) consider.
RobPN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

John Lewis 5 year guarantee on tv's & price match make it a better choice ...

I'd agree on that.
My Samsung 46D8000 HD 3D TV bought 2.75 years ago from JL is due to be returned to them tomorrow and its replacement, a Samsung 48HU7500, is being delivered under their five year guarantee.
It's being exchanged, with me adding some cash to the value of the replacement set offered by JL to upgrade, because it has a screen fault which many people don't even notice due to it only being visible when displaying certain scenes.  The fault has been there for quite a while and has got worse over time, but I've only recently decided to act upon it.
I was adding £400 cash to the deal (agreed a couple of weeks ago but delivery delayed due to busy Xmas period) which also included an 'up to' £150 cashback against a second Samsung item.  Since agreeing the deal I've price matched JL (against their own price and that of others) due to price drops first on Xmas Eve then Boxing Day to the tune of £200 - just waiting to see if there are further reductions for the new year!
Take care with LG TVs if you want to play content with DTS audio, as unless something has changed recently, LG do not pay a licence fee for the DTS codecs so consequently DTS tracks will not play.
I very rarely use the 3D, although I was playing with it again yesterday so that I can compare the new sets 3D against the older one.  The Samsung also has a 2D to 3D facility but I haven't used it much so won't comment on that.
Samsung and LG use different methods of displaying 3D, i.e. Active / Passive respectively.  Here's a link to an explanation of the difference (there are also further interesting links within that article).  Having read that article, although I haven't actually experienced 'Passive' 3D, I think I'd prefer the 'Active' method due to the better quality of picture, YMMV.