Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

London's New Year's Eve fireworks

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

London's New Year's Eve fireworks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-29234879
Limiting tickets to 100,000 when it is estimated 500,000 attended last year is going to upset a lot of people!
Prediction: on 26 September at about 12:05 the ticket website will crash
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: London's New Year's Eve fireworks

A nice little earner Wink  £1M if they sell all the tickets.
At least nobody can complain the taxpayers of London will have to foot the bill.
Steve
Pro

One of the most richest cities in the world and its charging £££  Lips are sealed
Community Veteran

They can't win with you I guess. If they charge you object and if they pay for it out of community charge you object - as some have done in previous years Huh
Fixes: 124

£10 just to look up! I can do that for free Roll eyes
Don't they think people will still try to get as close as they an without hang to pay thus still putting 'enormous strain on transport and safety infrastructure' Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

PowerLee
Rising Star

Wonder if the usual free public transport at new year for the fireworks will also be knocked on the head this year  Wink
Community Veteran

Nothing officially announced yet but my guess is it will be provided again - Boris will want to create a good impression Wink Smiley He has an election to win Smiley
Steve
Pro

Yeah a good impression like the congestion charge? If its too expensive there is a simple solution its simply don't hold an event.
PowerLee
Rising Star

Congestion charge does put some people of from driving in to London, like me  Grin
I haven't bothered to drive to London for about 10 years now.
It's cheaper for me to get a return on the train & use public transport then it is to drive down, pay the congestion charge & then try to find somewhere to park.
Community Veteran

It helps to keep the roads clear and traffic moving.
In case you don't know Boris has not introduced a congestion charge Wink  It was introduced by Red Ken. When Boris became mayor he actually cancelled the charge that was to be introduced in West London Wink
Steve
Pro

Yes you are correct artmo my mistake. Embarrassed
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

If I recall correctly one of the reasons that an event was provided by the river was that crowds at the traditional Trafalgar Square gathering place were getting too great. I wonder if there is no free event whether there will be mass gatherings elsewhere that might prove harder to police.
Quote from: PowerLee
Wonder if the usual free public transport at new year for the fireworks will also be knocked on the head this year  Wink

December 2013:
"Diageo will once again provide free travel on New Year's Eve so that festive party goers can get home safely. It is the third year of Diageo's three year sponsorship of free travel. "
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2013/december/plan-ahead-if-you-are-travelling-a...
I presume it will again be a matter of finding a sponsor to pay for it. If it costs Boris nothing why wouldn't he not want to continue with it?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: M
One of the most richest cities in the world and its charging £££  Lips are sealed

So is Edinburgh and at the rate you're going they will need to do the same thing too Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!