cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

London Underground to get Mobile Network

Community Veteran

London Underground to get Mobile Network

A mobile phone system is to be installed on the London Underground in time for the Olympics.  It is to be financed by a £50m gift from Huawei a Chinese telecoms company and will initially be installed on the Central, Jubilee and parts of the Piccadilly lines. O2 and Vodaphone will install the system.
Huawei is the largest telecoms company in the world and there are fears about the possible security risks in allowing them to provide the service.
The report comes from the Sunday Times and a summary can be read here:
Mobile Underground
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: London Underground to get Mobile Network

@artmo, read that,
also here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1358780/Olympics-2012-China-Britain-50m-phone-network-London...
bit suspect about the Chinese giving it away as aid, this is the same nation that tried to hack into UK defense installations
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Agree, a bit "suspect"..... however, if you read the detail provided in the original post....

It is to be financed by a £50m gift from Huawei a Chinese telecoms company

and then

O2 and Vodaphone will install the system.

it "infers" that the chinese are paying for it..... but  O2 and Vodaphone are installing the equipment.... as they have got a "vested interest"....it (the equipment) will most probably be the stuff they already use "above ground" suitably modified for underground purposes....#
Having said that....
When We first got a mobile phone...it was a "housbrick" by motorola.... and the best signal we got was whilst driving under the Mersey, in the Mersey Tunnel ! ! ..

pierre_pierre
Grafter

yes the security problem is there, The Madrid bombs were set of remote by phone, also cant we get peace from the dammed mobiles any where?
I did yesterday, went to see a demo in the heart of Essex, no signal on my phone, then for a meal on way to Bury St Edmunds,  again no signal, but a snotty kid was blasting away on one of those kids toys
O joy, for some reason looked at my phone when got back to the car, two missed calls, it was ok twas my sister, she had to wait till I was in range
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
@artmo, read that,
bit suspect about the Chinese giving it away as aid, this is the same nation that tried to hack into UK defense installations

Yes, the same company, Huawei, has already supplied equipment that has been installed in BT's network.
Community Veteran

@shutter, the Chinese will supply the transmitters and O2 and Vodaphone will pay to install them.  As you say O2 and Vodaphone will be only too happy to pay for the installation as they will make a fortune out of it.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Madness.
£50 million so people can say "I'm on the train".
You could pay for a lot of underground platform staff for that.

Community Veteran

But it's not costing London Underground anything.  Can't imagine the Chinese would be interested in paying for station staff Undecided
Boris has been working on this for a while and he was keen to do it so long as it didn't cost Londoners anything.  Seems he's achieved it Smiley
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Great - it will be like Spain, where several explosive devices were set off via mobile.
Typical of Bumbling Boris.

Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
@shutter, the Chinese will supply the transmitters and O2 and Vodaphone will pay to install them.  As you say O2 and Vodaphone will be only too happy to pay for the installation as they will make a fortune out of it.

Sorry,....... I thought what you said originally was the opposite......  chinese finance.... and O2 & voda installing...  Roll eyes  unless I read it wrong ? Undecided
Community Veteran

Sorry it could have been read that way.
Community Veteran

ooooops.... don`t know how I managed to cross post on this one.!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: pierre_pierre
I did yesterday, went to see a demo in the heart of Essex, no signal on my phone,

No mobile signal at home, none at work (20 minute drive), but we don't have trains either Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

before you wonder, the Demo was a load of Balls

Making them that is
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

One reason Boris is so keen is that there has been severe criticism about the poor communication for staff (drivers and guards in particular) underground on the system, What's the betting LU get a secure system on the same set up.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.