cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

London- Speakers Corner

Steve
Pro

London- Speakers Corner

The police was there a day or so ago and told everyone that was up on ladders to get down off them. It is now illegal to use ladders at speakers corner. The police used a law from 1997 I believe but they are only enforcing it now. Make of that what you will.

15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: London- Speakers Corner

Quite likely the Police do not want people looking down on them.

Wink

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Been there more than a few times back in the 60s and do no recall anybody using a ladder and anyways, those paparazzi use them all the time. 

I do recall a heckler saying to one speaker, "I can see right up your nose from here". Grin

I wonder if stilts are allowed? 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Steve
Pro

As far as I am aware nothing is allowed now except the two feet you stand on. Ladders have always been allowed at speakers corner but probably when you were there nobody was up one.

Minivanman
Hero

Different times Steve as step ladders were exclusively made of wood and the not much lighter aluminium ones we see today but as you say, not when I was there.

One job we had was installing air conditioning at the Mercedes showroom which was situated at the top end of Park Lane and just over from Marble Arch - so speakers corner was just opposite. 

Happy days.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

I've seen a few up ladders when I've passed by in the past, but what's wrong with the traditional soapbox?

Steve
Pro

Some of them did use a soap box. There's a new inspector that has taken over and is making the police enforce a law from 1997. Whether the police can be there all the time to enforce it is another matter.
Minivanman
Hero

"......but what's wrong with the traditional soapbox?"

I still have mine, although I'm often told to get off it. Wink 

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Jonpe wrote:

I've seen a few up ladders when I've passed by in the past, but what's wrong with the traditional soapbox?

It doesn't have the same stile(s).  Cheesy

Not young enough to know everything
Steve
Pro

Update: Ladders are allowed at Speakers Corner once again  providing the ladder only has two steps.

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

At least that's two steps in the right direction.

Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Who needs Speakers Corner when you have PlusNet chat forum?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Steve
Pro

Well there is things you can discuss at Speakers Corner that you certainly can't here.

Minivanman
Hero

Not quite fair as most subjects have been discussed here. The only real restriction I've noticed is in the use of bad language. Roll eyes

Community Veteran

There light censorship here even if you are discussing the C4 programme about the President Kennedy Assassination or the history show about that Egyptian God ISIS 

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.