cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lollipop, Lollipop...

Community Veteran

Lollipop, Lollipop...

My Android Samsung phone has just been upgraded to Lollipop. It has changed the appearance of my phone completely and I am going to have to get used to a new layout.  Why does an upgrade have to change everything?
30 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Lollipop, Lollipop...

New features I suppose or in most cases break the phone lol. I am on KitKat and although the phone is rubbish at times, the battery life is incredible, never thought I would see the day where a smart phone can have good battery life but mines does. Sony Xperia
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: artmo
Why does an upgrade have to change everything?

Because it wouldn't be an upgrade if things weren't changed... Grin
You can change certain things to older styles if they bug you, but as my Galaxy S3 has about as much chance of getting Lollipop as Nick Clegg getting a job at McDonalds, I haven't had the need to look into fixing the changes, but you could always pop over to the XDA-Dev forum to find solutions:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/
Fixes: 47

If it's an S6 then my son's recently updated and he's had nothing but problems since.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Been running it for months and not had any issues on any of our devices (Nexus and a OnePlus One)
Community Veteran

I'm not having any issues so far. I can understand an upgrade but wonder why everything including appearance has to change.
@Strat, I'm using a Galaxy Note 3.

I'm considering my options ready for an upgrade in June.
Community Veteran

The root of many peoples disappointments is down to thinking Upgrade = Improvements
Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
Upgrade = Improvements

Usually it is when hardware is concerned, software on the other hand if not thoroughly tested can be problematic, but that's what updates and bugfixes are for, and is why it's a good idea to hold off from software updates until the bugs are addressed... Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: DaveyH
Been running it for months and not had any issues on any of our devices (Nexus and a OnePlus One)

@DavyH,
I have 3 Samsung phones (all different models) and a Samsung Galaxy Tab2. Only one Samsung Note 3 has upgraded to Lollipop. When I look at the others I am told they are up to date although they are on earlier versions.
Is the upgrade not available to all devices?

It depends on the network I think.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Is the upgrade not available to all devices?

Nope, also depends on how slow the manufacturers are at adapting the OS to their various models, aswell as the wait for the network-branded versions to be bloated up, Samsung tends to be a bit slow on releasing OS updates though, some models will get it immediately, others will take a while, and the rest (usually older ones) won't see it at all...
Marksfish
Grafter

EE pushed the upgrade through on my S4 a couple of months ago. Battery life has suffered badly since  Sad
Mark
Community Veteran

That's funny! Just been looking at the Android website and one of the plus points with Lollipop is extended battery life Wink
Community Veteran

With a major OS update on the 'droids, its usually a good idea to clear the caches and do a factory reset (so the phone defaults to an as-new state with the new OS), as old files and settings can botch up the update, especially if there's apps on there that are questionably coded and don't work well on the latest versions...
That and the network bloatware versions tend to use more battery power anyway to run the bloat, which is why people like flashing stock ROMs so they have a clean OS... Smiley