cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logmein Free - no more

Fixes: 121

Logmein Free - no more

Login in today to see notice that LogMeIn Free will not be available from 30th Jan.
Wow, a whole two day's notice - no emails prior to this.
Looks like I'm going to have to give myself a crash course in using TeamViewer.
Just though I'd post here rather than the Windows forum as more people are liable to see it.
Out of interest, apart from TeamViewer (which has been recommended here many times) are there any other remote software worth checking out?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

9 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Re: Logmein Free - no more

Croosloop is another free one which works well,  although like others I would recommended Teamviewer.
Regards
Mike
Mike

Looking at TeamViewer now.
Seems more complicated at first - probably because I was used to LogMein.
Anyway, I have set up an account on my PC and installed the TeamViewer software for remote, unassisted access. It asked for a name and password but now, on the Allow Remote Control window an ID and Password is shown that bears no resemblance to what I previously selected.
Perhaps I'm missing something but I want all PCs/Laptops that are to be access to have unassisted access.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Any of the VNC flavours installed as a service are good once set up.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Mav don't bother with TeamViewer, sure it's a great product but if you use it for more than a few hours a week they get the ump and refuse to let you connect to anyone again.
Download TightVNC instead. It's free although you will need to use a dynamic dns domain name on the target PC to find it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Never used it

Quote from: 7up
Mav don't bother with TeamViewer, sure it's a great product but if you use it for more than a few hours a week they get the ump and refuse to let you connect to anyone again.
For how long do they restrict access - hours, days?
I didn't need to use Logmein that often of recent although SWMBO has to help her sister and mum with their new laptops. Now I've started to set it up we'll see how it goes.

Been playing with TeamViewer for a while and set up our three machines (1 PC and 2 laptops) for unassisted access.
All seems fine except that each PC can see the full list of all PCs available. That's OK if it was just our use but we don't want others (daughter, Sister-in-law, etc) who we may need to access to see the list or be able to remotely connect to our three machines.
Does anyone have any idea if/how this can be done still keeping all PCs available with unassisted access?
Perhaps this should now be moved to the Windows forum?

RichAllen
Grafter

Hmm, I wonder if my Brother knows about that.
I'll give him a call after tea.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mav
Quote from: 7up
For how long do they restrict access - hours, days?

Typically if I used it twice for a couple of 3 hour sessions I wouldn't be able to use it again for a week.
If your usage is less than that you'll probably be ok but they clearly had the ump with me about it. Fair enough I suppose they have to make a living but they don't specify their limits / restrictions.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!