cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loft Insulation

CX
Grafter

Loft Insulation

I have just had a lengthy chat with a nice chappy in an offshore call centre regarding my entitlement to free loft insulation. After the 4th call this evening I was sick of them ringing and hanging up as soon as I answered (with the associated ADSL drop) so his card was marked from the moment I picked up the phone this time.
He seemed willing to play along in spite of obvious nonsense from my end:
10 second delay before speaking to him
then using a silly voice
telling him that he had the wrong name and that I'm "Mr Smith"
and that he has the wrong house number
but he carried on with his spiel regardless, addressing me now as "Mr Smith"
he didn't care about me getting overly excited and giddy about the prospect of free insulation
and then putting the phone down and loudly informing the other people in the room about how great it is
or getting him to repeat to someone else what he'd just told me because I couldn't believe it
then onto his questions and my responses about the property
telling him (after some deliberation and backtracking) that the insulation was put in 72 years ago
and that the house was built 61 years ago
(still nothing clicked)
then onto the roof, which I explained was a flat roof with no room for insulation
he asked about any extensions, to which I responded there's an extension
his excitement picked up again
but oh, yeah, that's the same type of roof
but there's a shed which isn't insulated
a shed? he asked
yeah, it's a shed. timber construction, no insulation.
The penny finally dropped at this point and he started ranting on that I made a big mistake in wasting his time like that and he hopes I have better success with his colleagues when they call me back. This must be the first time I've wound one of them up so much that they completely lose it. I guess it must be embarrassing to realise that you're a gullible fool, and the thought of losing out conning some granny out of her pension.
Total time: approx 8 minutes.
For future reference, the number is 020300648 (although the call just before that one was "International out of area" - I guess they forgot to turn on the number spoofer for that call).
14 REPLIES
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Loft Insulation

telling him (after some deliberation and backtracking) that the insulation was put in 72 years ago
and that the house was built 61 years ago   

i have to say this made me laugh Smiley
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
kdoug007
Grafter

GREAT  POST..  HAVE  to admit..  I  had  loft/wall  cavity insullation last year,,, the  diffrence  is  fantastic...
Infinity
Pro

I recently had my loft insulation vastly increased for free, under a local council scheme, the property  previously had cavity wall insulation injected.
SInce the loft was done, it is definitely warmer upstairs, but conversely downstairs feels colder now.
Main thermostat is downstairs, so upstairs gets too warm at times.
Even with rad stats.
Thinking about it, I have made some "sausages" from towels from local charity shops, loosely cable tied to keep shape.
The hall is always cold when it's chilly outside, and I do keep a kitchen window open whilst in the home.
There is a difference, let's see what it's like at night, with no heating on.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Just had a call from "Alpha One" trying to interest me in free insulation. I failed dismally because I only managed to keep them on the phone for 7 minutes 20 secs. I told them my house is not insulated and  is unheated. I told the supervisor  its been like that for many years because we don't want to produce carbon dioxide. He had problems understanding the concept.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
CX
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair
7 minutes 20 secs.

Not bad.  Grin
kdoug007
Grafter

plus  com ,..  can only    give  my own opinion,,    but  every  ware  is  warmer..
  and  i  havnt  had to put the  heating  on  ,, sometimes  when the  norm  is  I  would  have,,
am  well pleased...
nadger
Rising Star

When we bought this house in 1985 it already had cavity foam insulation so we've had benefit for 27 years.
Fixes: 47

When I had free wall insulation installed this year there was an option to do the loft also.
I declined as there is so much stuff up there it would take me a week and 2 large skips to clear.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Infinity
Pro

The  stuff up there is partial insulation !!
You could always throw a cheap throw over it !

I've just had a wander around the village £ shops, fully kitted out now for Winter, 2 scarves, 1 zip balaclava, 6 thermal socks, 3 thermal insoles £11 the lot.
I already have the rest, favourite item is knobbly gloves I can drive with.
Plus £10 heated seat cushion for the town car from Aldi, got that yesterday.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Isn't two large skips full somewhat stressful on the rafters?  Get yourself on Ebay and sell some. That'll pay for the insulation and stop the sky falling on your head.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Isn't two large skips full somewhat stressful on the rafters?

Tell me about it Roll eyes
It was a godsend for the kids 'tidying up' their bedrooms Angry and the wife loved to visit the car boot sale down the road on Sundays.
Ok...some of it's mine but not much.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Nowt much in my loft except for insultation (around 14" of rockwool - original 'loosefill' that the builders put in + 2 x 6 " layers of rockwool laid perpendicular to each other to minimise heat leakage).
Loft insulation is probably the best invesment you can make in terms of low(ish) cost and quick payback in fuel savings (unless she opens the window again because she turned the heating up and now it's too hot!)  Crazy

[Edit]
Don't forget, be very careful about storing anything combustible in the loft as fire can spread very rapidly in the roof-space (worst in certain older terraced houses, some of which do not have a fire-break between properties).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Infinity
Pro

The Daily Express is tomorrow predicting -15℃  for the end of November.
But only in Scotland !
Weather Story front page Monday, that must mean a Medical Story front page Tuesday !
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/357651
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Meaty stories on Tuesday Wednesday & Thursday, and then ......... a Fishy story for Friday  Cheesy Grin Grin