Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loft Insulation.... works

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Loft Insulation.... works

Earlier this year, I had extra free loft insulation installed in this property, a Local Government Initiative, along with Government & Green Grants etc.
Last year, as above, cavity wall insulation was installed.
At the moment, at 2:30am, it is 4ºC outside.
Downstairs, it is a noticeably cool 20ºC
Upstairs, it is a warmer 24ºC.
No central heating on since yesterday morning.

I actually turned off most of the upstairs central heating a while back, it was just too warm, even with individual thermostats.
So, for this property, Loft Insulation.... works.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Loft Insulation.... works

Loft insulation is almost certainly the single most cost effective way to reduce heating costs (even if you don't get it free).  Anyone with less than 250mm (10 inches) should consider 'topping up'.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: PlusComUK
I actually turned off most of the upstairs central heating a while back, it was just too warm, even with individual thermostats.
So, for this property, Loft Insulation.... works.

Is it working?  Only if you live upside down. What's the point having bedrooms warmer than sitting rooms?
Would it not be better having the insulation between the floors?
In the summer having extremely hot bedrooms so you then think about fitting air con. or ceiling fans.
Community Veteran

Loft insulation can reduce the temperature upstairs in the summer (just try going in your loft on a really hot day, less of that heat gets through the ceiling with good insulation).
When upstairs is too warm we use a really effective invention, many houses are now fitted with these: windows!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
itsme
Grafter

Please explain the physics how the heat from the attic getting to the upstairs rooms. Is it radiated, convected or conduction?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Radiated
Community Veteran

Conducted through insulation and ceiling then radiated from ceiling.
Call me 'w23'
itsme
Grafter

If it's radiated heat the room air temperature does not change.
Fixes: 47

My loft is far too full of accumulated junk to accommodate any more insulation...there is a layer.
I did hear that along with free loft insulation could also come a free loft clearance.
I would have to be removed from the property during the clearance to prevent me grabbing stuff I hadn't seen for years...and obviously didn't need.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Talking of insulation and heating, I really don't understand a lot of new builds that have open stair cases.
Heat rises so in the middle of winter when you have an open staircase that goes up the back living room wall, side wall etc, where does the heat go? - Yup, you got it, UP!
I don't understand how people can make such daft mistakes when designing property.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
If it's radiated heat the room air temperature does not change.

But it will feel warmer (and measure warmer on an unshielded thermometer).
Call me 'w23'
Thunderclap
Grafter

The way it works is everyone pays green taxes in their energy bills so certain eligible people can get free insulation. This results in reducing energy bills and therefore, causes a significant decrease in the profits of the energy cartel. The cartel then hikes prices to maintain fat cat bonuses, and thus causes a subsidiary rise in green tax revenues. Which means even more money is spent on more free insulation, hence causing energy prices to rise again and again. Eventually, homes have become so energy efficient, the nation only needs a single wind turbine in Wales to power everything but, energy prices are now so high, not using any energy is too expensive. Isn't that right EDF?