Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locking & Deleting posts

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Locking & Deleting posts

Clearly the moderators have a number of options available when it comes to locking, deleting posts and even closing the forum either for a limited time or I guess on a permanent basis.

Just out of interest do the moderators have the additional option of blocking a user for a set period of time and if so is this option ever used before more drastic measures are taken ?

To be clear I am not questioning what the moderators do.....not a job I would want to do....but ask simply out of interest.

35 REPLIES 35
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: Locking & Deleting posts

@gleneagles wrote:

Just out of interest do the moderators have the additional option of blocking a user for a set period of time and if so is this option ever used before more drastic measures are taken ?

@gleneagles 

As in a temporary ban!

Then there's the permanent type which @rongtw received although his name is still on the list of members.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@gleneagles 

Censorship is a double edged sword - I think forum members are grown up enough

to either ignore or put miscreants in their place.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

I have suggested this but nobody seems to be able to moderate to that degree. Will they shut the general chat forum down, possibly. Will the infection spread to other areas, probably.

What is interesting is how those that spread dissent accuse others of doing exactly the same thing and in the same manner which is quite astounding when you come to think of it.

All very sad. 😞

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

@wotsup wrote:

@gleneagles 

I think forum members are grown up enough

to either ignore or put miscreants in their place.

Members putting miscreants 'in their place' is exactly what is causing the current problem. And just who decides just what constitutes being a 'miscreant'?

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@rEUnite 

it is called self censorship,  which is infinitely preferable

to 'official, top down censorship' - its the British way.......

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

It may be 'the british way', @wotsup, but it is not 'self censorship', it is vigilantism - ' the act of enacting perceived justice summarily and without legal authority'

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 1

@wotsup 

I don't see much evidence that self censorship works. Here's an example

https://community.plus.net/t5/General-Chat/Recession/m-p/1712250#M274387

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

This forum often reminds me of real-life communities who got on rather well, until a disruptive element moved in and decided they didn't like the way the people got on, and tried to change things to suit themselves...

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

@twocvbloke 

Seems more like Royston Vasey to me. Just a general lack of tolerance of 'outsiders'.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Comparing this forum to a fictional village of murderous, psychopathic people? Nah, not insulting in the slightest... 🤣

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

No more insulting than suggesting it's all the fault of newcomers, @twocvbloke.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Well, you did bring it upon yourself by joining with a ridiculous concept of re-joining the EU on the day we officially left, it's almost as if you knew you'd be a disruption, but we've been through this process already, you're a nuisance, and that is that...

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

Ah, so it really is just victimisation of anyone who is pro-EU and doesn't toe the dominant pro-Brexit, anti-EU line, is it? I suspected so.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Oh it isn't that, your pro-EU stance is just a cloak which you're hiding behind, you're just like my waste-of-space brother, aggravating people, inciting disagreements, causing trouble, and when those he's played off return the favour, he pulls the victim card, just like you, but just like you, his record is known to people and nobody listens to him and nobody cares, not even his own family...

So, I know your game, you're not here for pro-EU nonsense, you're just here to be the one to rock the boat to see who you can knock off, I've dealt with people like you, and far worse than you, so, to me you're a nuisance on a forum, and like I said before, that is that...