cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locking Posts

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Locking Posts

I can understand the need to delete certain posts and lock it but why is it necessary to delete the whole post ?

It is possible a thread may contain information that some might want to refer back to but if the whole lot is deleted the information is lost.

Why should the many suffer for the few ?

48 REPLIES
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Locking Posts

maybe it was lost in the post Funny

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Anonymous
N/A

@gleneagles

If you are referring to the thread I think you are referring to, I suspect that might be  more a case of the few suffering because of the many.

Fixes: 125

As the mod who locked and then removed the thread my original thought was to remove any offending posts. Reviewing the thread showed that it was not going to be an easy task with such posts scattered around genuine replies and would have been very time-consuming. Not something I felt is necessary to do in General Chat.

This cropped up recently with the Typical Toff Freeloader thread which also had to be removed for the same reasons.

That time I left my Mod note thread open but even that had to be locked due to more abusive posts. This time I locked my mod note in the vain hope that it will send a clear message that these forums will not tolerate the kind of posts contained in those threads.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Pro

gleneagles wrote:

Why should the many suffer for the few ?

You need to ask the Tories. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@Mav

Thank you for your detailed response.

I accept it cannot be the easiest of tasks being a moderator.

Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Personally I think Mav did the right thing. I was glad to see the topic locked, a couple of members were quite happy to throw false accusations around knowing full well it would cause offence and reaction.

As one member put it to me in a PM, there were two posts put there deliberately as bait to stir up trouble. Yes I did report the post that invited it to be reported. I probably should have been a bit more mature than that but i'd had enough of it all by that point.

I could just ignore some of these replies but when someone throws an accusation at me in public, it sticks. I have a right to defend myself and most of you know I will do so. I don't like getting into spats but I will not put up with insults and accusations being thrown at me like that.

Yesterday I stood accused of being anti progress for women. This is utter trash. I'm a stay at home dad while my partner has been furthering her own career - gaining a degree in the process. Meanwhile I'm stuck at home, skint, looking after a little tot who requires a lot of attention while my own life is on hold. Meanwhile that accusation was said "not in their name" and it will be completely denied.

I've previously been accused of racism too - especially towards people from a certain country, religion and ethnic group. I've only been with one of them for nearly 13 years who is the mother of my son Roll eyes

To put it bluntly, stop it. It really is that simple.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Some of you will remember WildRose52 in 2010; we don't to go through all that again - do we?

Not young enough to know everything
Anonymous
N/A

I have no idea who WildRose52 is or was, or what happened, but you have just given thanks to @7up's post in which he continues his argument with me from yesterday. 

In light of the above I can only assume the WildRose52 harmed him or herself as a consequence of bullying by members of this forum.

Anonymous
N/A

@7up

You are clearly referring to me in your post, and are doing the very thing you accuse me of doing, viz. posting  "deliberately as bait to stir up trouble".

In spite of reporting this, your post remains. It seems that the moderators are either unwilling or incapable of dealing with the bullies on this forum, and I am therefore about to request that my account is anonymised. Yes, you can all celebrate because you have driven another member away from the forums and from Plusnet.

I do hope Plusnet are aware of the reputational damage caused to them as a company by continuing to give space to such attitudes.

Community Veteran

notinmyname wrote:

I have no idea who WildRose52 is or was, or what happened, but you have just given thanks to @7up's post in which he continues his argument with me from yesterday. 

In light of the above I can only assume the WildRose52 harmed him or herself as a consequence of bullying by members of this forum.

1) I'm not continuing anything with you. I've merely pointed out facts and my POV. As far as I'm concerned, you and I have nothing further to exchange.

2) I also have no memory of WildRose52. 

3) Nothing further to add. EDIT: Since posting this a new reply was posted.

Community Veteran

My points in blue:

notinmyname wrote:

@7up

You are clearly referring to me in your post, and are doing the very thing you accuse me of doing, viz. posting  "deliberately as bait to stir up trouble". I did refer to you yes but merely to point out that you would deny all points. That was it. I said nothing else about you other than what you accused me of.

In spite of reporting this, your post remains.

Maybe the mods are busy, maybe they think you were wrong yesterday, maybe they're mulling over banning me. Who knows how they work and what they discuss. They know me well enough by now - they've had 10 odd years of me on this board. If it helps, they've removed many of my posts over the years. I can't remember what it was even about but Strat removed one of mine years ago in a totally diplomatic thread for no apparent reason. He never did explain that to me and we've not really got along terribly well since. Stuff happens, you just learn to put up with it. 

It seems that the moderators are either unwilling or incapable of dealing with the bullies on this forum,

If thats aimed at me, you need to stop and think. Who started all the political correctness and fault finding yesterday in my ambulance thread? - You give people hassle, people will argue / fight back. Don't give them hassle, they won't. You were already having a negative experience with other members before i read the latest replies and replied to any of it.

I do understand you are sensitive about your views and you hold them strongly. There is nothing wrong with that but there IS something wrong with telling other people how to obey your views and opinions. Admittedly I was a bit shocked by the posts mocking your avatar, I did personally feel that was out of line..

and I am therefore about to request that my account is anonymised.

Oh don't be daft. You're a valued and welcome member of this forum. I've left and come back numerous times after stupid spats over the years. I've been banned several times, had numerous rows with artmo, moderators etc etc. Eventually you just kinda fit in. Even my arch nemesis artmo is civil towards me these days. Believe it or not Steve and me had history years ago too - I still have the PMs that prove it. We literally hated each other. Now we get on very well.

Yes, you can all celebrate because you have driven another member away from the forums and from Plusnet.

There won't be any celebrations. Nobody has asked you to leave. Nobody wants hassle with you. Just stop trying to force YOUR beliefs on other people.

EDIT: Word 'literally' struck out, although (stupidly) written it was done so tongue in cheek.

Steve
Pro

So much for having nothing further to add @7up Roll eyes

Community Veteran

When I wrote that the next reply didn't exist.

Steve
Pro

7up wrote:

My points in blue:

Believe it or not Steve and me had history years ago too - I still have the PMs that prove it. We literally hated each other. Now we get on very well.

Hate is such a strong word. I do not remember hating you. Actually I do not hate anyone on this forum, but seeing as you have dragged my name into it and other members inc a moderator perhaps you can take it to PM and prove it. Because you certainly cannot prove it publicly. So please PM where I ' hated ' you.