Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lockdown

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Lockdown

The talking heads on TV seem remarkably upbeat about the economics of it all; only this evening one of them said that with the extension of the furlough scheme the economy would now not be back on track until 2022.

Btw, some time ago we wondered whether there would be tax relief on utility bills for those working from home.  Yesterday I discovered that you can claim tax relief on £6/week, and this evening Martin Lewis was reading out thank-you messages from people who'd got £60 back from HMRC (higher rate taxpayers would get twice that amount).  Not only that but if you have been asked to work from home for just one day, you still get the whole year's worth!  You are supposed to be able to prove that you used more electricity/gas etc. but that shouldn't be difficult.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

If lockdowns don't work and I don't think they will to any extent, how long I wonder before we follow others countries in with having an overnight curfew. To date it's quite a list with France, Belgium, Italy and Greece.... 

Link here 

Here in Wales we are coming out of lockdown on Monday and it'll be interesting to see what the infection rate figures are. Like the virus restrictions have become a moving target and trying to work out the what, why and where is really confusing. 

More morphine? Yes please nurse. 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm finding the anti lockdown protests by students and others, mainly young people I guess, slightly amusing.

Until recently I expect many of these protesters would have been protesting about "global warming" and climate change deniers.

Now in a turnabout it would seem many of those same protesters are now anti lockdown and in effect covid deniers.

It would seem things soon change protest wise when the protesters themselves are directly effected.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Gotta protest about something.

In my day it was all about Nelson Mandela and the Vietnam war, although I could never see the connection m'self. 😋

Thomas A. Edison
Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

@Minivanman  Back in your day, and mine, the Students were a very strong political force.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Champnet 

Indeed they were, and I remember having to cancel what would have been my first ever trip overseas because of the student riots in Paris in '68. Serious stuff as well and unknown at the time was that Charles de Gaulle was so worried about a revolution that he secretly scuttled off to Germany of all places.

Thomas A. Edison
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Mass testing began in Liverpool today. Anyone is eligible for a test whether they have COVID-19 symptoms or not.

Wait in line with hundreds of folks that think they might have the virus or not?

Err, I don't think so.

skynews-liverpool-covid_5163393.jpg

Thomas A. Edison
billnotben
Community Veteran

Can't see the point of the testing as it is very limited. And as I've said before, having had a couple of tests, it's not something I would voluntarily take on a whim.

I expect many of those queueing will change their mind when they see the ten foot cotton buds,😀

And very much like an MOT all the letter you get says "your swab for Covid-19 was negative. This means at the time you were swabbed, you were not infected with the Covid-19 virus." But by the time you get the letter..............

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Minivanman wrote:

Slightly off topic, but reading that our government is to increase financial support with a five-month extension of the furlough scheme into Spring 2021 - and nothing wrong with that of course as workers need some sort of support, but where is the money coming from.

Cannot figure it out m'self, but then we ran up quite tab (£20b) with world war two and one which was not paid off until about fifteen years ago. Does that mean we are going to leave our grandchildren still paying it off fifty years from now? 

I doubt younger people will be as tolerant than past generations, sure we have seen plenty of protests in the past with marches and demonstrations but things are different now, the ability of a single individual to contact hundreds or even thousands of people via the internet, add to that the vast amount of false news or indeed exposure of wrongdoings by people in power or with money and you have a highly volatile situation....

Think of all the millions who will be out of work or working for wages that do not cover the cost of outgoings or supporting a lifestyle they have become used too.....

I think the next 12 months may well see changes that like this virus we have not experienced in our lifetime and these will not be of a positive nature.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

You've got that right @gleneagles 

This is the first real test of change the boomer generation have seen after a lifetime of accepting 'what is' as always normal and nothing ever changes. The younger genertion on the other hand are on the cusp of change and one they are going to have to adapt to as best they can for better or for worse whilst the boomers stand and observe. 

A close call, and we really have been very lucky to have avoided the worst which in my case at least could have been being hauled off to boot camp before being shifted off to be shafted in Vietnam. Harold Wilson was not everbody's cup of tea but at least he kept us clear of that quaqmire. Mind you, with my ears I would probably not been have been drafted anyway!.

Incoming!

Pardon, what, did somebody say something? 

Boom 💥

Thomas A. Edison
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 6

@billnotben wrote:

Can't see the point of the testing as it is very limited. And as I've said before, having had a couple of tests, it's not something I would voluntarily take on a whim.

I expect many of those queueing will change their mind when they see the ten foot cotton buds,😀

And very much like an MOT all the letter you get says "your swab for Covid-19 was negative. This means at the time you were swabbed, you were not infected with the Covid-19 virus." But by the time you get the letter..............

ICBW but aren't the tests being used different than the ones you've had a bad experience of @billnotben - and give the results very quickly (possibly saliva)?  I'm pretty sure I heard that only people who get a positive result will then go on to require a confirmation test, possibly by the method you describe.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

You don't think they have just ran out of ideas to try Rob?

Other than what we have already experienced, what is there left other than more of the same or Gods forbid, a curfew.

Nothing else for it but to wait until they get a vaccine, and nothing left other than 'more of the same' as said if the NHS is not to be overwhelmed.

It's how I'm reading it anyway.

Thomas A. Edison
billnotben
Community Veteran

@RobPN wrote:

but aren't the tests being used different than the ones you've had a bad experience of

More uncomfortable rather than bad. A bit like an injection and who would want one if they didn't have to. Unless you got a free lollipop.😀

I still say the test is very limited. In a perfect world the test would also show if you've had it and from the amount of antibodies in your system the likelihood of reinfection. Then it would be something worth queueing up for. Otherwise as it stands the test is basically only useful as a pre-op check.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

They were showing a test being taken in Liverpool and it was the usual (deep) nose and throat swabs.  They did mention the accuracy rate but I can't remember the exact percentages, just that they were quite high.

Just saw today's statistics on the news this evening and the mortalitiy statistics include anyone who dies for any reason within 28 days of having a positive test.  So if you tests positive and get run over by a bus, get stabbed, fall off a cliff etc. a few weeks later, you are included in the COVID-19 statistics even if you had no symptoms of the virus at any point.  I suppose it's as good a method of calculating the deaths as any as long as all countries use the same one.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned much is that the numbers started to drop a couple of days before the current lockdown started.  Could it be that the second wave was largely a result of student migration, and that infections have now passed their peak at universities?

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 79

@Jonpe 

I don't watch the news, read the 'statistics', or to be honest have much faith in what we are being fed as 'the truth', but your second and third paragraphs make a lot of sense to me.

(1) Even if people with CV-19 die as a result of any of the reasons you give, or of a massive heart attack (for instance), they are a 'CV-19 death', even if that was not even a contributory factor - makes it all look nice and scary. Unfortunately, I bet even the four health authorities in the UK don't even use the same criteria, so the chance of the rest of the world doing so is very remote.

(2) Logical, but doesn't fit the panic narrative.

John