Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lockdown

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Lockdown

I popped into Asda to pick up a packet of my favourite biscuits but the hoarding [-Censored-] had already cleared the shelf.

All these big supermarkets have strong links to political parties which we can't discuss here (boo) as it would have been interesting to see how and if their political allegiances have wavered in these times.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Reminds me, I need to get some stuff tomorrow. Probably some food - refreshments (by that I mean beer), milk and some food which for me means a couple of microwave meals. I don't think nuking something in the Microwave counts as cooking - that is about as adventerous I get in the kitchen. That and pot noodles, (ditto there then). Sometimes I use the oven, which means I am choosing a pizza for food tonight.

Saying to my sister I have noticed food prices have gone up, don't know if anyone else has? Noticed on BBC news that pubs are going to serve takeaway booze. Wonder how that is going to work where in some areas where I live where you can't drink alcohol in public. Oh well.

billnotben
Community Veteran

I'm surprised to see in the news that MPs are having a vote on this lockdown. That's a bit late in the day as many places have already made closing plans. And many of the shops that will remain open have already made their adjustments..

Around here students seem to have taken this as a stay or go decision. And with the piles of rubbish set out for the binmen it looks like many have decided to go home.

So MP.s indecision will do little more than heap more costs,expenses, and worries on people and businesses.

I can't see "takeaway" pub booze being popular/working. Unless it's going to be "clear out" cheap I don't see anyone paying more for their take home booze.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@billnotben 

Well if it's not too 'politcal' to comment, I reckon the vote is already a done deal.

As for students, with somewhere in the region of two and a half million of them mixing by the hundreds what on Gods earth did they think was not going to happen. The whole of the higher and further education system should have taken the year off and stayed at home. It's what I would have told my kids to do anyway.

"Leave it son, it ain't worth it" 😎

And takeway booze? More like takeaway desperation. Why not just go down to the supermarket and buy a few cans... it's what I would have told my Mrs to do. 😆 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

I seem to remember it being pushed through Parliament that meant the PM had to be put all future lockdown measures to a vote of MPs

@billnotben wrote:

I can't see "takeaway" pub booze being popular/working. Unless it's going to be "clear out" cheap I don't see anyone paying more for their take home booze.

When i started work in central London i was amazed at the numbers of people standing & drinking outside pubs after work, irrespective of the weather. Could this be classed as take away ?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

On lighter note (if possible during lockdown and restrictions) overheard on the bus... apparently

Man reading the paper.

"These rules are stupid. At a funeral you can have 30 people at a wedding 6. What's the bloody difference?"

Chap sat behind.

"Well at one you're dead. At the other one in a couple of years you'll wish you were."

Man with paper.

"True"

Thomas A. Edison
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@billnotben Sorry to hear about your lack of favorite biscuits! What now worries me is supermarkets affiliation to political parties and minority groups.

I was going to suggest that you sample the wares at Aldi where shelves were full yesterday. Having bought biscuits there I am now concerned that I might be accidentally supporting AfD....!  Biscuits are good though.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Just steer clear of Scottish shortbread, Welsh tea cakes, Irish soda bread.... and anything to do with Garibaldi.

Chocolate Hobnobs, now that's a proper biscuit. 

Thomas A. Edison
billnotben
Community Veteran

@TeeGee wrote:

sample the wares at Aldi where shelves were full yesterday

My Aldi's had sold out of tinned peaches (halves and segments). But I see a few days ago they were partly prepared as well as the usual couple of large piles of flour bags they also had another mountain on a pallet in front of them. Today only a few bags left.

But at least I picked up some fresh plums on the way home so I'll stew them tonight.

TTman
Seasoned Champion

@billnotben Were they hanging over the wall of the orchard you passed on the way homeEvil

billnotben
Community Veteran

I wish.

I had to settle for the fruit/veggie shop.

I admit I quite liked the queues. Talking to people (women). But the thing I hate about the early on queues is after all the time spent you go inside to find they don't have any.

Of course the spring queues were warm and dry. This months queues will be anything but..........

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 6

I walked to Aldi about an hour ago for a couple of items.  Knowing Aldi don't have British Legion poppies in store I donned my mask and nipped in to Asda just for a poppy, before continuing to Aldi.

The main item I wanted was British on-the-vine tomatoes (none of that Dutch carp for me thanks) which they didn't have, none yesterday or Monday either.  Rather than carry an empty bag home I got a couple of other items for the freezer.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I hardly go to supermarkets, and living on my own (as Freddie Mercury once said) you have can hardly order on-line a pint of milk. It is a score minimum (£20), or a pony (£25) or a bullesye (£50) for door delivery.

I will have to go to local shops and chance I won't mess up a microwave meal (I am ashamed to say if I have done that in the past). 

billnotben
Community Veteran

Apart from the US elections it must be a slow news day with the BBC,

I mean "last thing I bought before lockdown" BBC 

I don't think my plums would get a look in.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 6

@billnotben wrote:

I admit I quite liked the queues. Talking to people (women).

@billnotben wrote:

I don't think my plums would get a look in.

You never know @billnotben Cheesy  Lips_are_sealed