Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lockdown

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Lockdown

@billnotben 

I'd not be surprised if that was considered, but we are like a mini United States with semi autonomous regions, and would we really have had the political testicles to cut off Northern Ireland? 

Then there is the wealth generated by travel through places like Heathrow airport which serves as a major hub and according to Wiki at least "the busiest international airport on earth" - so not exactly Australia and New Zealand.

Hindsight might be a wonderful thing, but comparing ourselves with others in this situation has to be fraught with difficulties.

If only it was that simple eh. 🙂

On a 'local' note, it's going to be interesting to see how exactly the Welsh Assembly are even going to begin stopping those from England crossing the border once the lockdown ends on the 9th of November and not forgetting of course that works both ways... or not.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

@Minivanman wrote:

On a 'local' note, it's going to be interesting to see how exactly the Welsh Assembly are even going to begin stopping those from England crossing the border once the lockdown ends on the 9th of November and not forgetting of course that works both ways... or not.

They could always build a wall.......

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Champnet 

They tried that, but the Anglo Saxons just went around it... or was it the other way around. 🤔

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offa%27s_Dyke

Thomas A. Edison
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Anyone else find it a bit crazy out?

Done my usual small shop but it's like Christmas eve out. Traffic queues, nearly full car parks, in a couple of shopping areas I went to. Yes of course toilet rolls nearly but not quite sold out yet.

Many of the shops had already jumped the gun with extra partitions and back to queueing outside.

At least we know what to expect this time (maybe).

@Minivanman Yes hindsight is a wonderful thing but often it's really just common sense. I agree not completely comparable to Oz and NZ  But "the busiest international airport on earth" tends to still show they had the right idea.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

And a long queue at some ikea stores....

What the (censored) is so important in ikea that people must have the stuff now, or cannot be ordered online.

As for the lockdown doubt it will be that successful as far too many are simply not adhering to it for a variety of reasons.

Even some conservative MPs are planning to vote against it.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
TTman
Seasoned Champion

Shortages ... The Daily Fail included a photo of a man with a trolley full of toilet rolls ,milk and other things. He was outside Costco who of course are not a retail store bot a wholesaler who sell to small shops. So not unusual for that to be seen there. Scaremongering???Roll_eyes

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I suppose many won't believe it until the evidence smacks them around the head.

As I've said before my brother spent a couple of weeks in hospital and my niece and her husband got jobs wheeling bodies around in another hospital.

My niece and her husbands temp jobs have now been made permanent which I think says it all.

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 79

@TTman Quite possibly, in answer to your last question. But no great surprise.

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@TTman 

Pictures these days provide a thousand opinions but that was my thought as well. Even if it had been a 'normal supermarket' the guy could have been shopping for a nursing home or something similar.

When I worked as a volunteer for the probation service we would buy a trolly load of bread, beans, bags of chips and all sorts in order to give the little angels their lunch. We used to get some funny looks at the check out but now they would say we were panic buying. 

@gleneagles 

Why the **** is IKEA even open?

The mind boggles.

Thomas A. Edison
dvorak
Fixes: 1,231

Moderators Note

Several political posts removed as per Forum rules

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Could somebody please explain to me how one can discuss Lockdown without it having a political element?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,231

perhaps it shouldn't be discussed here then.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

That would be a bit like living in London during the Blitz and not being allowed to talk about air raids and the consequences.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

So @dvorak , it's OK then to discuss non UK politics?

How about if I mention that Boris has had a haircut. Oops, I have.

*shakes head* 

Thomas A. Edison
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@TeeGee wrote:

Could somebody please explain to me how one can discuss Lockdown without it having a political element?

If I can't comment on a badly delayed political decision, then I'm out of here!

Goodbye!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."