Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lockdown

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Re: Lockdown

And according to the BBC news a few hours ago the police are breaking up a rave in Bristol attended by 700 people.

Not be long before that area starts to see similar corvid figures to the North West.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I don't suppose this lock down will bar legal visitors from other countries. Or put the illegal ones in camps for at least a couple of weeks. Force all people and kids to wear masks in shops. If not it all smacks of just fiddling around the edges.

Perhaps that young American catching it twice will start something different. Imagine if younger people who have had a mild version became susceptible to have a much harsher second infection just like him. Wouldn't that change a lot of the lackadaisical views amongst the younger generation?

Who am I kidding. After hearing students talking, if they were told there was a gunman outside shooting people their answer would still be lets go out and party.

At least the students could see any gunmen. They and others like them just don't understand that when they behave as many of them do they become virtual gunmen with the rest of us in their sights.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@TeeGee 

Then sorry I misunderstood. 

I just thought that as Boris was 'in charge' so to speak and is directing our response to Covid that somehow he was using it to his advantage.... so point taken. 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Since our government was telling the South that Covid was only moderately serious, I doubt that many people will take this so-called lockdown very seriously.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Then on their heads be it, but unfortunately you might be right and unfortuntely it will be on the heads of everybody.

Snap @YouGov poll

Three quarters (72%) of English people back Prime Minister’s plan to return to lockdown; just one in four Britons (23%) opposes the move.
Most (41%) say Government got balance about right but 30% said they should have gone further; 20% say they’ve gone too far.

Thomas A. Edison
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Snap @YouGov poll

Three quarters (72%) of English people back Prime Minister’s plan to return to lockdown; just one in four Britons (23%) opposes the move.
Most (41%) say Government got balance about right but 30% said they should have gone further; 20% say they’ve gone too far.

When asking questions like this it is worth bearing in mind just how many people have taxpayer funded salaries and pensions and Covid will not cost them a penny. The people destroying the economy are in this category too with a KBE thrown in for good measure.

Then ask the same question to those who have lost their jobs, their businesses, probably their homes and every penny they have worked and saved for.  Their children will suffer too in due course.

It is not that simple and certainly not "fair".

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@TeeGee 

Well no, and none should be taken at face value and all with some sort of codical attached. They all have a certain "we asked 100 people" ring about them as we don't know who those 100 people were.

Daft eh. 

Thomas A. Edison
billnotben
Community Veteran

When this ends (hopefully) they will at least be able to get on with their lives.

But that can only happen if they are still alive, Something many seem to forget.

Many of those complaining of "hard times" think it's a tough struggle when the battery is flat on their phone.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yep exactly true,

'Living on my own' (as Freddie Mercury once said) just means I get a bit bored. I just go to the supermarket to get some supplies. For me that'll be any microwave meal I can nuke for x minutes plus beer (the latter being more important of course).

Never done on-line shopping for food, as I don't order that much anyway and I like to see what I am getting.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@gleneagles wrote:

Once a vaccine has been found and we all feel relatively safe it a fair assumption that action taken by various countries will be subject to detailed analysis but no matter what the findings there will be those who remained convinced theirs was the correct course of action to take.

Of course! Life always was so.

As for the vaccine, I suspect it'll be like the flu. A different version every year, months even. Mind you that is always assuming a reliable one is found. I see the latest Spanish version currently being blamed for Europe's surge is a mutated strain. Of course, who knows, it might be like the original SARS and to a degree just disappear.

The one thing I have noticed is those countries that came down hard in the beginning (very strict flight controls with compulsory quarantine on arrivals / big fines for non compliance) seem to be reaping the rewards. Maybe next time (and there will be a next time) we might get our act together sooner rather than later.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

The PM's announcement was made late afternoon/early evening yesterday (Saturday); this morning (Sunday) just before midday I happened to be walking past a man who was unloading his car while talking to a couple of women.  As I passed them I heard him say, "It's ridiculous, the shelves at Sainsbury's have been completely cleared of toilet rolls."  Didn't take long, did it?  Having had no reports of 'upset stomachs' during the first wave, why would anyone assume that the second lockdown is going to be any different?

We are told we 'should' only travel abroad on business or for (unspecified) important reasons; does that mean we'll no longer be collecting people of unknown health status off boats in the Channel?

One expert on the news yesterday said we shouldn't worry about the fact that fairly recently infected people had no detectable antibodies.  He explained that this is the case with many infections and the immune system is still able to respond rapidly and effectively should you get reinfected.  I suppose it's a bit like an antibody factory that's run out of antibodies but the machinery for producing them is still there ready to respond quickly if need be.  He also confirmed that COVID-19 is a slow-mutating virus which makes it easier to produce an effective vaccine.

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@TeeGee wrote:

Snap @YouGov poll

When asking questions like this it is worth bearing in mind just how many people have taxpayer funded salaries and pensions and Covid will not cost them a penny. The people destroying the economy are in this category too with a KBE thrown in for good measure.

Then ask the same question to those who have lost their jobs, their businesses, probably their homes and every penny they have worked and saved for.  Their children will suffer too in due course.

It is not that simple and certainly not "fair".

@TeeGee i see your statement as if from  a RedTop stirring it up. Who are many of them?

Doctors, nurses,  lecturers, teachers, social workers and more, I'd say, who are working excessive hours to find accomodation for vulnerables etc and dealing with new government impositions, ill thought out, so  confusing. 

Most of the other posts I Agree with to an extent

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

News from Wales this morning if I'm hearing it right is that our own current lockdown will not be extended to coincide with the one Boris hopes to pass in the House later today for England. Scotland meanwhile sticks with it's own five tier system.   

So much for Team UK, so much for the English three tier system, and so much for trying to understand what the hell is going on.

Just like the first world war when in the August of 1914 they expected it to be over by Christmas.

Err, I don't think

Thomas A. Edison
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 79

@Minivanman I refer you to my very first reply on this topic. They should stop playing politics like silly schoolkids, and get a coherent, sensible GB wide policy in place.😠

John
billnotben
Community Veteran

I think many of us are already thinking why didn't we take advantage of our position, like Australia and New Zealand, right from the start.

We are an island, separate from mainland Europe, we should have taken full advantage of that and closed our borders and severely restricted any overseas travel.