Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lockdown

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Lockdown

I guess this is going to affect us all in some ways but......

Can we discuss this on the forum or does it infringe the ‘Forum Rules’ as being ‘Political’ ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
234 REPLIES 234
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Lockdown

Seems to me it's the politicians that are making it political and not taking sides here, by Boris is damned whatever he does.

Could he have handled it better well of course... and he could have made it a lot worse. The world and his wife have all the answers but nobody can possibly provide one, and comparing ourselves to other countries does not help one iota as it is never a 'like for like' situation.

A complete and utter lockdown at the very start of the outbreak well yes that might have worked, but it would have been political suicide to have done so and whilst that should not have been of prime concern, well somebody has to make the decision and playing musical chairs around the House of Commons was not going to help.

Was the fact that the four regions of the UK acted apart political? You can bet your life it was given four different parties were calling the shots. Here in Wales we have had our own lockdown for a week which will now overlap the one being imposed on England. Reports suggest it will end entirely next week leaving Wales open and England closed - which would be an unmitigated disaster and yes I know, could it be any worse.

Politics may not be popular with the Admins here and with good reason, but it's certainly popular with the virus given that one half of the country top to bottom does not want to know what the other half is doing.

Time to stop playing whack-a-mole with the Covid, time to start playing as Team UK leaving all else aside.

Well that's my two pennies for what it's worth. Anybody got change for a shilling? 😀

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 74

@Minivanman Well said! On an island as small as GB, a unified policy is the only one which had a snowballs chance in hell of even getting anywhere close to sensible - but do politicians do sensible?

John
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I posted this elsewhere recently:

"Imagine this scenario. You put a saucepan of water on the hob and it warms up. You take it off the hob and it cools down. If you put it back on the hob it warms up again and cools once removed. Repeat as necessary. Sound like anything familiar?"

This is unfortunately something we are going to have to live with until appropriate measures can be found to control it, there may never be a full cure for it. The Spanish flu epidemic was found to have been exacerbated by being indoors. In the battlefield, wounded soldiers were moved outside during the day to get fresh air which was said to act like a type of antiseptic. The second wave was deadlier than the first. The human race doesn't learn from the past.

Mark

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Minivanman 

Agree with all that, as you say everybody has an opinion.

Much of America is taking a different approach and simply not bothering to take precautions against the virus, the economy is more important than lives or at least it seems so to DT.

Once a vaccine has been found and we all feel relatively safe it a fair assumption that action taken by various countries will be subject to detailed analysis but no matter what the findings there will be those who remained convinced theirs was the correct course of action to take.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Marksfish 

I think I might have read somewwhere that it was also something to do with the close quarters on troop ships and the thousands coming over to France from America and not something that had been previously experienced and on such a scale.

All interesting stuff and as you say, we don't learn from the past - or at least we don't seem to be. 

@gleneagles 

Indeed, but then their different approach has much to do with America being fifty different States each with their own unique way of doing things with those elections being a good example. Also, we keep hearing about the massive infection rates there compared to our own but is that any suprise given the size of population - 330m against our own what, 65m? 

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

I support The Great Barrington Declaration. Basically protect the vulnerable and let everyone else get on with their lives. There are too many people using this to promote their political and social agendas.

Lockdowns are however more rigorously enforced in Europe but it does not seem to have much effect on the infection and death rates. Spanish TV news gives good coverage including some excellent quality rioting!

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It was thought to be OK to offer little or no support when it was just the North (or Scotland or Northern Ireland) - but when things looked bad for London (and the South) then obviously something had to be done.

We had all summer to fix this - but didn't.

Instead we were encouraged to mingle in pubs and restaurants (Monday - Wednesdays).

I expect that Cummings will be off for some more eye testing...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

How is Boris using this crisis to promote his political or social agenda @TeeGee?

I would agree that Trump is not helping with all his mask wavings or Captain Hindsight Starmer, but Boris? How about Spain or France for example. How is it helping theirs.

No affilliation, follower or member of any UK political party by the way.... well not anymore anyway. 🙂

@VileReynard 

And that eat in to help out wheeze, like that was going to help. All it did (and it was not rocket science) was to make matters even worse from what I could see. 

gleneagles
Community Veteran

Well a lot of people support the Great Barrington Declaration and it is an alternative approach to the problem but can you really isolate the elderly, indeed I am not sure who is classed as elderly, is it from 55, 65, 75 etc and as one elderly person said do I want to spend what few years I have left living in isolation or subjecting myself to various restrictions.

This declaration seems to focus on the young and the economy but says little about the elderly and their needs or the effect on their mental health caused by isolation.

I simply do not have enough knowledge to know if the GBD is the best way to go but assume those countries that are going into lockdown have access to their own medical advisers and the general consensus is a lockdown is the way to go, unfortunately no one knows what follows it, the R number will decline then many go out partying over Christmas & the new year followed by a increase in cases and another lockdown ?

Most people have an opinion on the best course of action....I do not.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

As regards to any action, I sometimes think we should let it run it's course whilst taking care as best we can of ourselves, each other and the vulnerable. Kids can cope better, but they might need special attention as well. 

It's a tough call and one I'm glad I do not have to make and it's going to be especially tough for those doctors and nurses if they have to choose as well they might between a Covid and say a Cancer patient.

I'm well into my 70s now with a chronic chest condition and if this Covid catches me bad then in all honesty, I'll not be wanting to take up bed space and all that goes with it if needed for the more deserving.

The Mrs knows this and we are of the same mind so...

Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

I've been trying to get online today to complete my shopping order with Tesco for its delivery tomorrow. But the world and their wives appear to be using the service as I'm always getting a 500 hundred error when searching for products.

As I've never witnessed this before I can only assume that it's suffering the consequences of the pending lockdown.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Mook wrote:

I've been trying to get online today to complete my shopping order with Tesco for its delivery tomorrow.

Other supermarkets are available.... ! ! ! ..

Iceland do next day delivery if your order is over £35.00  

ASDA slots for delivery in our area are "Sold Out" for November already.. so I suspect XMAS will be the same !.. Click and Collect only.

Morrisons in our area have slots available for the next 14 days.

PS.. Check Your Email.. !

cheers

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 74

@Mook Which is stupidity on many peoples part, then. So far as I can tell from reading the main items on the BBC News app, food shopping in person is still going to be possible, and IF people don't behave like the end of the world is coming, as they did at the start of the last lockdown, things should not get out of hand.

Fortunately, I got my order for Wednesday in before all this stupidity restarted, and I will restock in a fortnight, as I usually do, by visiting my 'local' Sainsburys/Tesco supermarkets.

John
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

How is Boris using this crisis to promote his political or social agenda @TeeGee?

I did not mention Johnson. You have surely noticed that Scotland, Wales, and Catalunya are using it to emphasize and press for greater independance.