Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lockdown

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Re: Lockdown

Come to think about it I did not feel as cold in those days......

Perhaps it was that antifreeze 

😉

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I thought it was because the percentage of alcohol was so low that the wine would freeze without the anti-freeze. 😀

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I remember a story about a pub, not far from me.

They used anti-freeze thinking it was Aftershock. Was in the local papers. People got ill becuase of it, and had to drink straight Vodka to combat the poison of it.

Not funny I know, but there could be a worse antidote I suppose.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Stupid is as stupid does @Alex 

"It is thought the men were served the poison after bar staff unknowingly used display bottles filled with anti-freeze which had been used to make empty Aftershock bottles look full"

Pub serves anti-freeze to revellers | News Shopper

I had lodgers for a very short while (and a very long time ago) who left a black bin bag full of dirty washing by the back door. They were going to take it to the launderette later that day but did not think to tell me... so it went out with the rest of the black bin bag rubbish and yep, it was bin collection day. 

They were not too pleased, but then they should not have to so stupid. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Who'd have thought?

'Scotland Loch Doon ( Scottish Gaelic : Loch Dùin , pronounced [l̪ˠɔxˈt̪uːɲ] ) is a freshwater loch in CarrickScotland . The River Doon issues from its northern end, while the loch itself receives waters from Gala Lane [1] and Loch Enoch (in the Galloway Hills ) via Eglin Lane'.

With credit: @TTman 😉

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Back on topic....

Wales out of lockdown from today and blimey, in the space of about ten minutes we counted seven camper vans on the road in-between where we are and the Cardigan coast this afternoon. Tesco's (we only popped in for the cheaper petrol) and the B&M car park were both packed solid. 

Running out of toilet rolls, running out of instant barbeques those environmentalist quite rightly love to hate more like.

Crazy Easter Bunny? More of a mad March Hare if you ask me.  

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Newspaper headlines: PM 'pins hopes' on free twice-weekly Covid tests

I really don't know how we'll ever win this game, when the goal posts keep being moved around. First hopes were all on the vaccine, now tests. Make your mind up please.

I'd been trying to get my head around as to why you'd need to be tested if the vaccine is so good. But maybe its not the cure all. It seems even if you have had the vaccine, you can still get Covid! Partner of a man at work has had the jab (she works in care homes and gets tested quite regularly). Last week she got a result 'inconclusive'. As he said, 'never had one of those before'. Just got an SMS from him to say she's been confirmed positive and he's off for 10 days. Gulp. One good thing I suppose - both of us have had the jab as well.   

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@idonno 

As regards to those twice weekly tests I was watching a television program about the testing labs and whilst they may have been efficient at first, once they soon become overwhelmed with work they became inefficient. Worth watching if you are worried and left me feeling it was all pretty pointless shoving cotton buds up my nose twice a week. 

As for the vaccine well they never are 100% - and nobody has said they were. Various figures abound depending on which one you have but none carry the guarantee of not catching the Covid virus. Same with that flu vaccine some of us have each year as that virus mutates and has to be tweaked in order to cover more bases.  

My first flu vaccine was back in the mid 60s and crikey did I go down with it a couple of days later. Young at the time of course but I was knocked out for at least a week. 

Alex
Community Veteran

Oooh dear, well if I have to do mine I won't be looking forward to it.

Being a male, I think you can work out what parts of my body I don't mind being touched (I will better say no more on that note before I get told off!). However my tonsils aren't among them. 🙄

Having to touch your own tonsils twice a week doesn't sound like my idea of fun, put it that way. I think even watching Ant and Dec would be more pleasurable than having to that to yourself and would less be torture.

Strat
Fixes: 505

I had my first ever flu jab last year at my Daughter's insistence.

I had a call last Friday from my local GP surgery.

I knew it was them as the name popped up on the screen of my landline phone.

She started by asking me if I had received a letter recently from NHS England regarding my covid jab.

She then requested confirmation of my full name and house number.

It was when she asked about the age of my double glazing that I became a little suspicious.

I said "goodbye" and hung up.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 87.0 (64-bit)

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Strat 

Standby for more calls now along with a clogged up postbox!

What a sneak. 

Alex
Community Veteran

Yeah @Strat 

Disgusting scammers are trying to take advantage of it. Seems they are, but my first injection was from a legit text from the NHS and to go to a link to book it. As I said on another thread they have my mobile number and I didn't know.

Only thing was it took me a bit of messing around (but not loads) as I don't know my NHS number. Silly of me as I keep an Excel spreadsheet of all my passwords and ID's and so I should add that to it.

Oh well I just went and got it done.

Just letting people know, that sadly the scum of this Earth are trying to use this terrible situation to their advantage whist there are genuine good people who want to help.

The fun and games or working out what category they fall in. Yes and I know caller ID can be hacked, I once got a call where the caller ID was something like '0123456789012' which of course I very much doubt is a legimate number. 

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

For all those misguided enough to think that the vaccination jab(s) are a cure for COVID19.... THEY ARE NOT A CURE...

No ...?   no... they are not a cure.... they are to help your immune system fight any infection that you may have picked up..

in exactly the same way as mumps, measles, yellow fever, beri beri, or other transmittable diseases..

just because you have had one or two doses of the vaccine, does not mean you will not get infected with COVID 19... what it does mean, is you are more likely to suffer less from its dire effects..  and probably survive.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I think mask wearing is going to be the norm if not for the many then for the few for some time to come yet, and more so as the world becomes increasingly crowded. 

Too many humans inhabiting a crowded planet, so nature steps in to balance the books.

Even with a free pass I'm avoiding buses at the moment as well and have been for some time. And when I don't? Then it'll be 'mask on' for me and happy to look like a daft tin foil hat conspiracy theory loony for a few months more at the very least - and the same with supermarkets. 

Alex
Community Veteran

I know @shutter 

A vaccine is to teach your body what the virus is. Which involves a less harmful version being put inside your body, but still a version of it nonetheless.

You're hardly going to train a body's immune system by having a lovely chat or a cup of tea with it after all sadly. You train it by introducing it to what it is.

So your immune system is going to go:

"What the [-Censored-] is this I have inside me".

(Your body thinks it is the real one, and fights it off).

Whilst it is doing that, you feel RAF (I won't say what that acronym means - or I will get told off! 🤐).

It is still fighting something off, but less nasty.

Still you've got to it done. I am surprised this hasn't become the most frequently used emoticon now: 😷 

Anyway good luck to everyone on their days.