cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local government salaries.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Local government salaries.

The salaries of some top local government CEO's, Chief Constables and others in similar positions are simply scandalous along with the pay rises which are way above the 1% the majority of their staff are getting. Add to that the perks, pensions and massive payouts on leaving irrespective of how well they have performed and it's hard to find another word to describe it.
If Cameron is so set on saving money this along with a number of these quangos is where he needs to start rather than taking money from those who have the least.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Local government salaries.

Guess you read this in the Daily Mail today. They are doing an investigation all this week. Here's a link:
Salaries
Some of these payments are unbelievable. I hope the chancellor takes action about them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Any NHS Trust where the remuneration of the CEO is greater than the Prime Minister is clearly not subject to good financial control. They should be closed and reformed with a new management team appointed, including HR managers, at salaries closer to reality. Those executives who demand higher salaries should be given the immediate opportunity to gain such packages in the business world.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

indeed the problem with most of it is that they will cost more to pay off (break the contracts) than to waste out, which as I understand it was the major problem with the slash n burn approach to various quango's, the labour government made many employment contracts that provide little to no disadvantage for the post holders to resign yet massive problems for the employer trying to get rid of overpaid individuals, contracts which the myth that you get what you pay for (you wont get a "good" post holder if you don't pay them more than the private sector does) totally overlooking the fact the majority were employed purely to create jobs for doing nothing much, iirc there was a news article some years back about a certain labour peer who was listed as the chief executive on 5 quango's all of which he spent half a day in the office to collect his average sum of 250k per annum for as well as being an associate director on another 5 again all of which got him for half a day a scandal but unless he did something wrong none had the ability to sack him without paying out a lot of money (5 years salary) and he wasn't alone in holding so many appointments just the top of the pile in terms of posts held and pay received ..... labour positioned a lot of overpaid underworked people in jobs for the boys under virtually unbreakable contracts during their rampant expansion of the nanny state....
whilst the Tories might not so far have been able to demonstrably gain control of the situation there is hope that as the majority of those contracts expire in the next few years they will expunge the burden to the public purse going forwards rather than prolong it, but at this point its just hope, if they do however there is also hope they will re-introduce the laws preventing anyone from receiving salaries in public office larger than that of the PM, of course that will mean that either the PM will need a giant pay rise of a lot of doctors will need a pay cut .... neither will meet with approval from the general public which is continually being whipped into frenzy by the frothing of the red's ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Its been in my signature for a while - those with the least are expected to contribute the most.
It seems to be getting worse too. CEOs being paid almost half a million in some hospital trusts... heck.. my local trust employs one man to update their website using a WYSIWYG editor - over $50k - and he's part time! How can that be justified?
What i can't believe is that for years the government was subsidising those WITH money - solar panels, car scrappage and all the other perks... yet those on benefits face the threat of their peanuts being taken away almost every other day.
Something is very wrong in westminster. I'll agree that those on benefits do sometimes require a kick up the **** but that is the few that just can't be bothered (which then raises the question of how to pick them out). The genuine claimants should be left alone and not face so much political aggression.
Westminster needs to change - something is wrong when the poor are punished for being poor while the non-poor are then having money handed over on a plate.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The Daily Mail has done some good research on its exposure of public body salaries and perks this week. Interesting series of articles.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Odd that there has not been a single comment on the BBC news or similar type of BBC Program as they are normally quick to report such things.
Perhaps it's the salaries paid by the BBC that might come under scrutiny.