cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local dialects

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Local dialects

I was born and bred in Nottingham for my sins; the locals have a very special way of talking which might confuse some visitors! Some examples...
Eyup meduck - well hello there.
Eya gorra weeer? - have you brought your beautiful wife?
Meckit gu backerds - put your automobile in reverse.
It's bleck oer Bill's mother's - the sky is looking a tad inclement.
Arkatit rainin - listen to the torrential downpour.
Geower - please cease.
Code innit - brass monkey weather.
Oo tode yer that? - where did you get that snippet of information from?
Norrerder thatun - it's new to me.
Gerrup that twitchel - disappear quick before I sort you out.
I'll bat yer tab - you need a quick fetch round the earole.
I fa*tin like a brewers mare - flatulence.
Dinna slip on coursie - mind the ice on the pavement.
Gerroff en mecka mash - could we have a nice cup of tea please?
We ent arf edda barnie - me and the wife have had a slight contra-temps.
Eya gunna gerra sertifficut? - will you obtain some form of legal document?

Any more? or other ones from far flung places?
22 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Local dialects

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I remember an Adge Cutler (Somerset) song with the title - Thee's Gott'n Where Thee Cassn't Back'n, Hassn't?
You have got yourself into a position where you can't reverse, haven't you?
Not young enough to know everything
David_W
Rising Star

Where eee binto.....Where have you been
Taint goin zackly .....Things are not going quite as they should
Teasy asn adder.....Upset – best left alone.
Dreckly.....Later – whenever
I’m purty feer consederin .....I’m quite well thanks
Berm wisht.....I’m feeling quite poorly
Proper job.....Great – job well done
Ansome.....Lovely; beautiful
Orright r eee.....How are you (feeling) ?
Aforeego.....Before you leave.
Fordencanee?.....Can you afford it?
Ow ee doin pard?.....How is my friend?
Illy.....Steep
Edge.....Separates two fields
Cornish, though you got to say it sorta Somerset meets Pirate vs Ninja.
Denzil
Grafter

Dunnaw which part of Cornwall you do come from, but round ere it'd be "tidden goin zackly".
"Dreckly" - alternative definition - like the Spanish manana, but without the sense of urgency. Smiley
"Wozzon?",  - what is happening?
David_W
Rising Star

Eybfrum by Penzance, we be avin good weather t'day me cock, but Eybfrum Wales originally me 'ansum.
johpal
Grafter

I live between Barnsley and Sheffield and make the bold statement, there is no such thing as a Yorkshire accent (they all sound similar, but there are differences).
Most Yorks. people will talk about "Leets" (lights), but what is known in Sheffield as a breadcake (roll, bap, balm cake, call it what you will), becomes a "plain teacake" in Barnsley; in these more cosmopolitan times, you will be forgiven the mistake, but as a child, I remember a puzzled baker asking what did I want, bread or cake?
One of my favourites (forgive me, I am trying to spell it phonetically): "Oo worry wee,  worry wee 'issen?" - Who was he with, or was he alone?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ee bah gum, tha`s nowt su queer as fowk!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just had a look at my Estuary book, not found anything yet I can print here
or this said to Nelson
Wojja fink of this then?
"englaand expect that every man will do iz duty, innit

Yep. Thass juss the Job
Fixes: 47

Quote from: johpal
I live between Barnsley and Sheffield and make the bold statement, there is no such thing as a Yorkshire accent

I'm a born and bred Sheffielder  and speak with a Sheffield accent but for a real Yorkshire accent I would point people at Barnsley.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jmd
Grafter

Me Mum came from Wednesbury where it  "powers woth roin" and "Oi'll gave you foive"
Me - I have no dialect but am told here that I sound Mancunian but I am not  - I cum from Southwest of Manchester................. but strangely enough I have been asked if I come from the Midlands.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

they definitely have an accent there at least my lot who came from Old Trafford area in th late 30s did
Simon_M
Grafter

Fair 't midlin' = roughly, as well as can be expected - although as no-one has ever been know to admit to being anything better than fair 't midlin', we can conclude that either the east coast is a very unhealthy place to live or it's population is just naturally pessemistic & depressed.
Hmm - also just discovered me smell chucker's broke. In true Windows fashion, I think I'll try a re-boot before investigating too closely.
N/A

Yes, there is a marked difference between Sheffield and Barnsley Yorkshire which I find quite astonishing because they are not very far apart at all. Doncaster is just as close and yet does not have such a distinctive dialect.
I recall my uncle (now deceased) who migrated to America with his very young family many many years ago. When he came to visit he had a strong American twang but in his last visit his Yorkshire accent was very much in evidence. I can only assume this was because he was quite elderly, grown very deaf and had consequently reverted to his childhood dialect. Strange indeed!
It amazes me how some people can lose their dialect and some can't. For instance, to hear Patrick Stewart speak you would never think that he came from West Yorkshire (Huddersfield area I think). Conversely, Sean Bean who was raised very near to where I lived as a child, has never lost his Yorkshire speech pattern.
Community Veteran

I agree Poppy.  Most people would be unable to identify my accent (unless they knew me well, or came from Northern Ireland)  Not a decision on my part, it just happened.  Most strangers would accuse me of being from the West Country (even some people from that region)
I know that Ken Branagh was born not a couple of miles from where I was, but of course he had the RADA brainwashing (sorry training) Wink  I suspect something similar with Patrick Stewart (He was a member of the RSC)
John