cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local JC only has 4PC's / removed all the pods without suitable replacemants

TORPC
Grafter

Local JC only has 4PC's / removed all the pods without suitable replacemants

My daughter has just come back from her two weekly regime, of signing her life away
She has noticed the they have removed all the jobs searching pods on both floors, on the upper floor there ore only 4Computers or as theJokeshop calls the IAD's
How on earth do they expect people to look for work, in circumstances where some may have to have to use the pods as the have no suitabel device(s) @ home or the Library is full ?Huh
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Local JC only has 4PC's / removed all the pods without suitable replacemants

They hope they don't look for work so that they can stop their benefits.
Soon they'll be closing the local job centres and insisting that people travel at least 100 miles (at their own expense) each fortnight to sign on. How else do you expect this corrupt government to get the unemployment figures down?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Local JC only has 4PC's / removed all the pods without suitable replacemants

There is/was only 2 in my local one, that was last time I was in there. I don't bother to sign on anymore as they have NOTHING to offer me bar veiled threats of stopping my dole - I keep telling them to PAY me before they can stop it  Grin
demonix01
Grafter

They phased out those terminals several months ago (along with the phones) in favour of a few computers that people can use to access UJM (my local JC turned off their terminals about two or three months ago (although they haven't been removed yet) and there's now three computers set up near the ones on the ground floor that anyone is allowed to use to search for jobs).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: jelv
How else do you expect this corrupt government to get the unemployment figures down?

Trouble is that getting the unemployed numbers down doesn't really fix the economy. These idiots up the top think they're being clever but they're really wasting far too much time hassling the little people when they could be sorting out the real causes of our mess instead.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

if they were just trying to get the numbers down wouldn't they be swapping millions of people off JSA and onto ESA/IS as there not counted in the headline rate of jobless ? certainly that's how other administrations have manipulated the figures which largely made them worthless, interestingly every September and January a lot of people get transferred from IS to JSA as there kids achieve school age so the numbers should be rising shortly
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

I think ESA/IB is actually now counted, a previous government merged it in, which is why they now are stricter on ESA.
I been saying this for a while, they only care about saving money and making the rich richer, if someone gets of JSA either by finding work or been kicked off they dont care, either way is fine to them.  But sanctioning people is far easier and cheaper than actually making changes to create jobs.
Devonian
Grafter

I heard the job centre demands claimants to spend 12 hours a day applying for work, that can't be right surely?
Fixes: 125

Just had a brief chat with my daughter and she seems to think that it was 4 hours twice weekly that she had to commit to. But both our memories aren't so good on this. Certainly wasn't 12 hours a day!
Apparently it can be different for each claimant depending on circumstances.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Devonian
Grafter

When I am busy at work, I pay the neighbours lad to help me, as he's unemployed.
He said he has to prove he has done X amount of job seeking each day.
Maybe I miss heard the 12 hours, but I know I definitely thought it was ridiculous.. there are few opportunities around here, so how can people be told they must spend X hours a day applying for a job, it there aren't any to apply for?
Maybe it's not that simple, but it seem's quite OTT to me.
Maybe offer help, and if it seem's the person isn't looking, then force them to, but to demand everybody does, well I can't see how you could do that?
TORPC
Grafter

Just phoned my daughter & she has said they require 7 hours per day, 24 /7 / 365
She remembered because she had an argument with her advisor, as they wanted her to go in daily to use the computers, & she told them that if they want her there all day then they will have to supply transport (daily) & drinks & snacks for dinner time, amongst other things, her advisor seen her point of view & said to continue fortnightly.
Devonian
Grafter

Yea I knew it was something completely unreasonable.
Now, why the need to visit the job centre at all when everything is online?
TORPC
Grafter

I suppose number crunching again ?Huh
Community Veteran

they actually expect people to be looking for work or doing work related activiy full time, but the requirements they give to prove it dont require that many hours.