Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Elections

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Local Elections

Results are still coming in but the general picture is that both main parties are suffering losses in local elections.

The reason why is quite clear in most cases, is this likely to mean that a similar picture could emerge at the General Election ?

If so we could end up with no party having a majority or anything approaching a majority and irrespective of your view on the main issue of today surely this can only be bad for the country ?

Or am I wrong ? Could it be good for the country ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
8 REPLIES 8
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Local Elections

Well they do say @gleneagles that the middle ground/middle class (call them what you like) are getting squeezed out as jobs disappear and AI takes over mass production certainly, and much more probably. The emerging result and one that is already taking place is a division between a wealthy and extremely powerful minority and a poor and increasingly disenfranchised majority and if that separation continues to be reflected in the politics of Left or Right then the poop will hit the fan big time.

So no is my view, a multi-opinion, multi-political and hopefully a multi-generational choice is what we now need to embrace. I'm done with it myself and will never ever vote for a major or even less than major party as they have here in Wales again. 

The two party system must be allowed to die, if it is restored it to life we'll still be arguing about things like Brexit in a hundred years time... if we are still here.  

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Just for @shutter Thumbs_Up

Capture.PNG

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

The really low turnout is the main worry for main parties, shows that people are losing faith in our politicians and our political system.  Libdums have done really badly in last 10 years and are just about back where they were before their slump, so no good people like Vince Cable jumping around claiming a big victory and a vote for remain. 

Brexit has driven a bulldozer through our democracy and shown people that politicians are still out to score political points even in the midst of a national sea-change in our history. Most of all brexit has shown what a spineless bunch our representatives are..

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

What was once an election about rubbish bins become one about rubbish politicians.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Minivanman   Trouble is.... If you put the rubbish politicians in the rubbish bin... they always get recycled somehow...... 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Very true, sadly Sad

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

If coalitions governments become the norm, there can no longer be any excuse for not introducing a proper PR system.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

22% turn out round these parts. Long live democracy. Independent councillors everywhere.
Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?