cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Elections, are you happy with the outcome?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Local Elections, are you happy with the outcome?

I know I am. Smiley

10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Local Elections, are you happy with the outcome?

We only got to vote for a new PCC - not counted yet and probably a very low turn-out (it was last time).

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Ah! Well from the BBC site it's taking them along time to come up with the numbers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2016/police

Fixes: 47

In our area the PCC count is being done this afternoon.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

We only had the PCC too, but the choice was three party-biased candidates, don't want party bias running the rozzers in my opinion thanks, so, let that vote slide...

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

As ours was PCC only, I gave it a miss, as after a day out I was wilting, but wifey, made of stronger stuff did her duty.

Our line up was good: 

Conservative, Labour, Lib Dem, UKIP, 2 x Indepedent,  Zero Tolerance.

Unfortunately the incumbent Independent was ousted by a party candidate, Tory.

FNL, what's policing to do with the candidates' politics? At least we didn't get UKIP or Zero Tolerance, and hopefully they split the votes of those of similar persausion.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
nadger
Rising Star

Ours was also PCC only - didn't bother voting but person I would have supported was elected.

Will definitely vote on EU day.

mikelahey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 10

Same here, PCC only I think there was only 15% turnout round where I live. Was hardly publicised at all and got no leaflets through the door setting out what we were voting for. 

Community Veteran

Mook wrote: are you happy with the outcome?

Well, the outcome was that people were elected as the result of a democratic process largely untroubled by war, violence, corruption etc. etc. so definitely YES.

Obviously it is very unlikely that everyone will be happy with the selection of candidates that were elected and may well prefer other choices to have been made, but that's democracy for you. Cool

We only had PCC elections in our area and the lack of information about candidates was frankly ludicrous. And as noted above, party affiliations for such a post are difficult to understand. Discussion in our local pub that evening (near the polling station so often a "port of call" for voters) was pretty much "why bother" and hardly anyone did/had.

One person I know well who did vote remarked that they didn't see another voter whatsoever during the whole process. Turnout for our area was still very low but double the last time. That said, I don't know if other parts ofthe PCC area were also electing council candidates, our local area was purely PCC.

Edit: "some boroughs also holding local elections" according to one local newspaper.

Fixes: 47

We had PCC and local council elections and it seems there will be no change in either.

As to if I'm happy with the outcome, the majority seem to be so who am I to disagree.

Roll on the EU referendum.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

happy with the process not so happy with the result, I would actually of preferred anyone but the person who got the job and has spent the last 5 years making a complete ballsup of it, closed more than half the police stations sold off all the assets they could, promoted incompetent boot lickers and sacked people who had a job to do, increased backoffice spending 10 fold and reduced front line policing levels to breaking point....

and that's just the good points about the incumbent, although as others have noted there was very low voter turnout and a lot of people don't think rationally the PCC first day in the job turned all speed cameras off across the county and didn't bother to have the drink drive spot checks in place either which probably gained a lot of the undesirable vote, live in the county town and our cop shop (opposite the crown court building) was closed and sold half the officers were sacked and the remainder relocated 30 miles away ......

every other candidate promised to undo that gigantic mistake (crime levels have shot up but detection is down and response times are rock bottom)

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you