cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Living 'Off Grid' can we all do it?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 43

Living 'Off Grid' can we all do it?

I saw this article on the BBC today and sure it’s a laudable way to live but can we all do it as is suggested that we might have to?

It doesn’t say how many acres these people have, so how many do you need to live a sustained self sufficient life? If we all have the land required is there enough to go around? And if not are the farmers expected to give it up? Or is that OK, as in theory if everyone is self sufficient then we don’t need farmers!

10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Hero
Fixes: 19

Re: Living 'Off Grid' can we all do it?

In answer to the thread title, @Mook - no, there just isn't the land area in the UK to even suggest it is possible, but the fact that BBC suggests it is the reason said organisation is sometimes referred to as the British Bullpoop Corporation - they have some weird ideas, rather often.

John
Fixes: 317

These have TV and internet and what about the vehicles these people have. What do they run on.

How much do you have to give up before you are classed as 'off the grid'.

Is it just electricity?

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 69.0.3 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Community Veteran

To be fair to the BBC @jab1 they would have said that based on the zero emissions expected by to 2050.

Community Veteran

Well if you take it literally @Strat then I guess the simple answer would be yes. But to be truly off grid you would need your own water and sewage facilities. As for gas I don't think that counts as you can get by without it.

Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 87

@jab1 wrote:,
... the fact that BBC suggests it is the reason said organisation is sometimes referred to as the British Bullpoop Corporation

If the BBC put all the 'Bullpoop' they are currently generating into a methane digester then they could generate enough gas to heat a considerable section of the UK.

My solar panels just about generate enough electricity to make me self sufficient in electricity over the course of a year but my far greater use of energy goes into heating (my house EPC rating is B) and fuel for my car. With the current plans in place becoming energy neutral is practicably just pie in the sky.

One thing the government could do is insist that new buildings incorporate PV panels, but no, they have cut all the micro-generation tariffs and insist that money be spent on 'smart' meters with their mythical savings. 

The idea that planting trees then cutting them down is 'energy neutral' is another myth. Mature trees are needed to soak up CO2. Not be chopped down and burned to produce more CO2. Surely the only difference between trees and coal is a few million years?

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 19

@Mook wrote:

To be fair to the BBC @jab1 they would have said that based on the zero emissions expected by to 2050.

And IMO is more 'bullpoop' emitted by HMG to sound 'green', but maybe I'm just a cynical Victor Meldrew.Smiley

@Baldrick1  -spot on!

John
wotsup
Champion

The laws in Wales make it easier to build on agricultural land if you can prove you can live off it, one family has a couple of shipping containers and some lorry trailers and solar panel plus a gas producing digester for food waste, oh and vehicles... hardly living outside society are they as all the things they are using were products of industry.... if living off grid means our countryside is going to be covered by ramshackle constructions and septic tanks leaking into groundwater I don't think it is either sustainable or a particularly good idea.  It another case of its OK for a few to do it but if everyone tried to do it - total chaos , and who would be left in towns and cities to make all the things living off grid requires?

Just another case of virtue signalling I fear....

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

The late Richard Briers tried it in a suburban garden in Surbiton in the 1970s. Laugh

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@Jonpe  Yeah, but he got paid for it by the BBC  !   (oops ! )  Roll eyes

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

My first thought when reading that article was here is a family living off grid allowing themselves to go on grid in order to tell everybody all about it. Just struck me as rather odd. Good for them for giving it a go, but still.

Like a cartoon I saw recently where a couple sat all alone on a deserted cove were texting their many social media friends about just how peaceful it all was there, only to find next day hundreds turning up in their cars in order to enjoy the isolation!

download.jpg