cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Liverpool FC... confusing

David_W
Rising Star

Liverpool FC... confusing

So let me get this straight.  Liverpool/RBS went to the high court which said "yep, you can sell the club" so the American owners then ran off to Texas where a judge didn't say "sorry, I have no jurisdiction on this matter" but instead blocked the sale of a club which now the British club and British owned bank actually heeded?
What the heck kind of judicial system do we have in place where a court with no authority can block a commercial activity in another country?  It's madness.  How could the judge rule that he had the authority in the first place to make such a judgement, I mean, I know Texas is rather large but not really large enough to cover the UK last time I checked.  Maybe I should apply to the high court in London to have an injunction against schools in Texas producing any books which promote ID over evolution? 
I think it's really unfair that a court which is not answerable to the British or European powers that be can make such a judgement.  The British government can't quite go to the court of appeals to have it thrown out, RBS has to go to a court in Texas to get a matter which is not even their business thrown out of court and if they don't manage it, Liverpool FC goes into administration on Friday(?).
I'm not a fan of Liverpool,  never have been, but I think it'll be really unfair if they are docked 9 points because of a Texan who can't even pronounce Football unless it starts "soc" (or aluminium for that matter).  I know *why* they are not ignoring the judge (interests in the US) but it strikes me as vain of a judge to believe he had any authority what-so-ever to issue such an edict.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Liverpool FC... confusing

i thought it was known that usa rules the world?  why would all our prime ministers have such long tongues otherwise?
do keep up.
magnetism2772
Grafter

looks  like our politicians have indeed sold our country to the yanks
magnetism2772
Grafter

ps  american cadbury takes yuk
doodle do or is it  noddle  noo
Community Veteran

David W maybe the existing owners have the club registered as an American business, in which case a US court may have the right to get involved.
Last night's news here in the US was that the Boston Red Sox owner had secured the club for $450M but it looks like that may have been premature news from what you say.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Latest news - the High Court has told the Texas court to get lost
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9091246.stm
Community Veteran

sweet.  are we going to stand up to uncle sam at long last?
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

"Mr Justice Floyd has given Hicks and Gillett until 1600 BST on Friday to withdraw their legal action in America, or face charges of contempt of court. "
Community Veteran

That should get their attention.
Is contempt an extraditable offence?
(It is for most of Europe but I'm not sure about the UK-US treaty)
Community Veteran

I am not sure that John Henry (American wanting to make money buying and selling businesses including sporting teams) is going bring anything different than Hicks & Gillette (Americans wanting to make money buying and selling businesses including sporting teams). Could be out of the frying pan and into the fire.
What Liverpool Football Club need is to be owned by a fan (with lots of money).
Community Veteran

Henry bought the Red Sox and turned their fortunes around to the delight  of all the fans.  You won't find many a bad word said against him in Boston.
In a recent article he says he will build a new stadium for Liverpool.