cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live Traffic ( Tom Tom on-line )

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Live Traffic ( Tom Tom on-line )

I use this site quite a lot, and find that it is pretty good..... Just wondering "how does it work" ?
On major roads, I suspect there are implanted sensors in the road surface  giving the speed of traffic passing over them... easy to correlate that to a slow section and put it on a map...but recently, I have noticed some "quiet back roads"... have also been showing delays and the length of the red line, indicating the queue of traffic waiting to traverse that section... so.. how does it gather THAT specific information to relay to us ?
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Live Traffic ( Tom Tom on-line )

I wonder if it's similar to the BMW system? That works by sending data from other BMW cars about their location/speed etc. so they can pick up when there are traffic jams or slow traffic. This is then sent to all BMW cars and you can see it on the maps.
Fixes: 102

I wonder if they buy it from traffic master.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I doubt they buy it - they sell their traffic data to others, like the AA (http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/licensing/press-room/press-releases/2012/TomTom-wins-exclusive-deal-to-deliver-real-time-traffic-information-to-British-Automobile-Association-website.jsp):
TomTom HD Traffic creates a picture of traffic conditions as they evolve.  HD Traffic contains information from multiple data sources, including connected navigation devices, mobile phones, road sensors and real time incident data; TomTom combines this anonymous information to produce real time traffic products using proprietary and tested methods.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The TomTom Live units contain a mobile phone SIM, with the user's agreement, it transmits details of individual journeys as they progress back to a central computer. In this way TomTom can build an accurate and up to  date mapping of traffic conditions in real time.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

How is the user's agreement obtained? Can it be withheld?
Community Veteran

Every time you power up a question is asked if you are willing to share the data about your usage. You benefit from the Live system in that your planned journey is constantly evaluated, if there is a hold up ahead the Tomtom will attempt to find a faster route.
Community Veteran

That seems a fair arrangement IMO. Benefits both parties.
TORPC
Grafter

What are the cost(s), if any for the end user in using share data usage ?Huh
Community Veteran

"Live" is bundled in the price of the unit for the first year. Afterwards it's £47.50 for an annual subscription. (http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/services/live/ )
Community Veteran

But the HD traffic is free for life for newer devices:
All devices in the new TomTom GO range come with Lifetime TomTom Traffic. Depending on which TomTom GO model you choose, you can connect to TomTom Traffic in one of two ways:
Smartphone Connected
Smartphone Connected Get TomTom Traffic via your smartphone with Bluetooth® connection2. Your TomTom device is ready to receive traffic information by connecting to your smartphone via Bluetooth®.

Always Connected Drive with world-class TomTom Traffic, straight out of the box3. With no additional costs for roaming, Always Connected is the simplest way to get real-time traffic information on your device.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
I use this site quite a lot, and find that it is pretty good..... Just wondering "how does it work" ?
On major roads, I suspect there are implanted sensors in the road surface  giving the speed of traffic passing over them... easy to correlate that to a slow section and put it on a map...but recently, I have noticed some "quiet back roads"... have also been showing delays and the length of the red line, indicating the queue of traffic waiting to traverse that section... so.. how does it gather THAT specific information to relay to us ?

Most roads in the UK (and many other countries for that matter) have an implanted traffic management system, either in the road surface or from roadside speed sensors. These feed into a central computer that many information providers use to show traffic conditions. Have a look at google maps and start the " traffic" function. I think you'll find it's the same. It's fascinating to look at other country's cities.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Having read some of the replies... I am wondering, IF, tom tom stanavs have a transmit section, that relays the gps back to tom tom hq... and therefore the distance between users, and the speed that they are moving at could be calculated to provide the information back to the satnavs.... and also to Live Traffic... ( makes sense )...
Not so sure about mobile phones doing that... although there may well be a facility which, as one poster said.. requests your permission to share info....
Community Veteran

This http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/livetraffic/about/ ; explains how TomTom Live Traffic works!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

And they get their data from the national traffic management network. They "add value" with their own satnav data, but I doubt it adds much.