cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Little Green Boxes.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Little Green Boxes.

A Number of little green boxes have started to appear a few miles from where I live and it's amazing the number of these. This is addition to the existing green boxes that BT use.
This has generated a number of complaints to the local press but I would be more than happy to see a few appear in this area as current broadband speeds are fairly low.
Also encouraged by an e-mail from PN indicating that as a result of this work there may be an improvement in speed during the next few weeks so just hope it covers the area I am in.
29 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Little Green Boxes.

have a close look at the boxes, are they BT or gas/electric remote boxes? I have one near me
matt_2k34
Grafter

The "New" BT ones arent so "little"

as you can see, sizable increase on the old boxes.. Smiley
This has generated a number of complaints to the local press

People always complain - for example i get a relatively poor mobile reception in my area. *EVERY* planning application for a phone mast gets declined due to complaints? People just dont know when to stop.
Regards
itsme
Grafter

Don't think the photo is showing the boxes that are generating the complaints. The ones that are are at least 2 feet taller than the ones in the photo.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Matt_2k34
The "New" BT ones arent so "little"

as you can see, sizable increase on the old boxes.. Smiley
This has generated a number of complaints to the local press

People always complain - for example i get a relatively poor mobile reception in my area. *EVERY* planning application for a phone mast gets declined due to complaints? People just dont know when to stop.
Your photo shows the exact size of the box I am talking about....... certainly BT as a number of their vans are about.
I am surprised that planning objections to phone masts have stopped these being installed as I was under the impression that the phone companies had some sort of government approval to build phone masts where needed. Despite strong objections about phone masts in some parts of Lancashire to my knowledge they have always been given approval.
Regards
matt_2k34
Grafter

wow large quote O_o
Apologies, my "people will complain" was a generalisation against any network equipment (mobile or otherwise) and not a limiting factor to BT.
When you said "little" green boxes i assumed you were having different equipment to BTs fibre equip put in (the boxes certainly are not little)
Regards
pierre_pierre
Grafter

this photo has the normal BT box on the RH kerb, the new taller Fibre one on the left
the second a close up of the front of a /fibre cabinet
pierre_pierre
Grafter

LH Fibtre ,Grey Post roundsman box, red post box, RH old Copper box
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@pierre, All you were missing was a red Phone Box and you would have a full hous.  Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well if you want one, they come alond in two's
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

...and some are bigger on the inside -

Grampian Transport Museum, Alford, Aberdeenshire
Not young enough to know everything
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Any one remember when Police Boxes were on the corner of most streets?  There was one on the corner of Bellevue Middlesbrough back in the 1980's
pierre_pierre
Grafter

all you get now is one of these

"Airwave" failed on 93 occasions between 2005 and 2008, according to figures released under a Freedom of Information request.
The hi-tech digital radio system failed when the MSC Napoli ran aground and looters descended on Devon in 2007.
Devon and Cornwall Police said it was working hard to build new masts.
The force admitted problems had occurred in remote areas or when the volume of calls had overwhelmed the system.
Community Veteran

I love that expression "working hard" when used by officialdom. I think it means "we've formed a committee."
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just been and taken another shot of an alternative green box near me, not BT or Telephone