cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Litter

Fixes: 47

Litter

Is it me or is dropping stuff in the street, what used to be referred to as litter, no a wholly accepted practice.
I have just watched a 'person' walk down the street past my office opening a new pack of cigarettes and the various pieces of wrapping were casually dropped.
Having been taught from an early age not to do this it makes me so angry to see it knowing full well I have to contribute financially to it's clearing up.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Litter

Sadly its a symptom of the casual age we live in in this country. Other nationalities simply don't do it -Singapore, New Zealand- and many others....
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Like most things,..... there is a law against it..... but we don`t pay enough council tax/police precept to have the miscreants "locked up" in the stocks for their misdemeanours  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Sadly I think it is a British disease.
On my travels around the world, and especially mainland Europe, most seen to cleaner than Britain ( not all mind ! ).
Singapore was the most clinical - almost too clean !, but Netherlands, Scandinavia in general are clean, possibly Germany - but I've only spent a few days there.
Fixes: 47

Thinking about it Vancouver seemed very clean too.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
Singapore was the most clinical - almost too clean !,

Most countries have problems with chewing gum but not Singapore because gum is illegal to have. In the town I live chewing gum is more obvious at night when the streets are empty. Spots of gum are never more than 6 inches apart and the local council have a clean up twice a year, at great expense.
Community Veteran

When I return from abroad I am always aware of the amount of litter that we have lying on our streets in this country.  I don't know a country worse than us.  There is no policing of this any more Undecided
birdman
Grafter

I recently flashed a driver who had thrown a fag packet out of his car window. I got the one-finger salute. Enough said.
Fixes: 125

But drop a few crisps and the litter stazi will jump on you.
Toddler fined £89 for dropping two crisps
A woman was handed an £80 litter fine after her toddler grandchild dropped some crisps on the pavement.

Mother and child - easy target as they are hardly likely to put up much fight.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

David_W
Rising Star

Aye, you have to weigh up the over-zelous wardens who'll fine you for feeding ducks.  I'm a smoker but *always* without exception put my wrappers in my pocket to dispose of at home.  I do however live in a tourist area so it's in the councils best interest to keep the area looking "nice", lots of litter bins, flowers "in bloom" etc. I'd guess in inner-city areas the issue would become more of a umm, issue, lots more streets to clean, lack of places to put bins and such.
I do think though certain establishments and business types should pay a clean up tax, fast food places and chewing gum makers.
idlewis
Grafter

In Glasgow there are litter wardens in the City Centre, where there are  £50 fixed penalties for culprits as part of the City Council initiative called the Clean Glasgow campaign. Businesses are also included.
Community Veteran

Quote from: dgwebb
Aye, you have to weigh up the over-zelous wardens who'll fine you for feeding ducks. 

..........I think we've been here before Roll eyes