cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Litter

Fixes: 47

Litter

I was reading this article in the Sheffield Star and thinking that to so many people, dropping unwanted objects such as food wrappings in the street is an inherited personal right.

It's one of my pet hates.

I have heard it said that it gives some other people a job clearing it all up.."If I didn't drop stuff they wouldn't have a job" Angry

Parents do it which teaches their kids that it's ok to do it.

IT IS NOT OK!! and it's costing me money.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
15 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Re: Litter

I hate litter bugs >:-(

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

This could be a good income source for Parish Councils. 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/parish-councils-fixed-penalty-notices

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Dropping litter in the street, is as you say, @Strat, not acceptable, but sadly, many people today are just too lazy or thoughtless.

John
Community Veteran

With my city changing to every two weeks bin collections many shopping areas are full of stinking overflowing bins.

Any personal littering goes unnoticed within this general mess.

My council should start to fine itself. Even a few road sweepers I have spoken to have said on some days it's pointless trying to clean up in some areas.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

And the litter louts complain that the rat and mouse population is increasing.  London foxes (none in this area until about ten years ago) seem to live on junk food casually dropped in the street, which is clearly not good for their health, judging by their appearance.

I've seen people get off the bus squeezing between the bin and the bus but because the bin was on the opposite side to the hand in which they had their ticket, they just dropped the ticket on the pavement.  People travelling by car often open the car window and casually throw the packaging from their take-away meal out onto the street.  If you ever travel on public transport, especially in the evening, there is litter everywhere.

It has to start with the parents as it did when I was young; it wasn't 'cool' to drop litter.

Steve
Pro

You need a GoPro camera when you are out and about @Strat. Surely you could make a fair bit of change handing them all in?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

One of my pet hates as well. The fact that they drop litter FEET from a bin is infuriating to me. I have even seen dog poo BY THE SIDE OF THE BIN (raw), now this is just unacceptable. If you have a dog PICK IT UP (not the dog) and NEVER NEVER PUT CLOTHES ON IT.
Fixes: 121

Now why would you put clothes on dog pooCheesy

Seriously this litter throwing is out of control. If someone throws something out of my car window I pull up and make them get out and pick it back up. Not that difficult to keep it till a bin is found or we're home.

Instead of stupid fines they should make the person do community service picking up litter.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Pro

Mav wrote:

Now why would you put clothes on dog pooCheesy

To keep it warm and moist?

@Steve

EwwwwwwwwwShocked

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Steve
Pro

Suddenly reaching out for a bit of my Flapjack isn't to appealing right now!!!

I'm in the middle of devouring a couple of Tesco 'Twix' bars. Nothing puts me off my foodWink

Steve
Pro

MMMnnn not had a twix for a long time. I can recommend Tesco's own mars bars though ( crazy caramel bars they are called ). Really nice and much cheaper.

Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Hmmm...why put clothes on dog poo, errmm, cos the dog would look daft wearing them?

Seriously though, round our way, anyone caught dropping litter, even a cigarette end is liable to a £75 fine. Some of the 'enforcers' do carry cameras as a form of safeguard in case someone has a go at them. 

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.