cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lithium-ion batteries

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Lithium-ion batteries

I Guess a number of forum members will have power tools that use rechargeable batteries but with average use what is their life expectancy ?
I am not thinking about rechargeable batteries that can easily be replaced but batteries that once their life is over means the tool or other piece of equipment needs to be thrown away.
I would exclude batteries in tablets and similar devices from the question  as I am thinking more about power tools or similar that require a fair amount of power.
There are a few comments about this on the Internet but I would be interested  in forum members experience on this topic
3 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Lithium-ion batteries

Like apple tablets you are not ment to replace the batteries, but with some enginuity you can!
Have a look on YouTube
Hope this helps
Community Veteran

It's as long as a piece of string really, but if the battery has been looked after, especially when stored at about 40% charge when not used for a while and kept away from very cold temperatures, they should last about 1000 recharges. Storing them fully discharged will kill them.
nanotm
Pro

well I have a had several cordless drills over the last 20 years, most of them the motor burned out or they got damaged by dropping and were no longer useable only the sub £30 ones ever had battery problems, from experinace with them I'd say your often chucking the power tool away before the power pack becomes unserviceable
having said that the Makita pro range we used at work, the batteries would be replaced once a year on average (but they were used every day and fast charged several times a day) so its more about how you use the tool that effects the battery life, as well as storage conditions (I always keep mine in the house, but work units were always subject to rapid temperature changes)  if you go with an expensive tool range that has a lot of industial contract's with the manufacturer providing through life support (the mod for instance has a 10 year contract on such things) then spares are more readily available but a cheaper range (like shops own brand) are more often a throw away product without the option to get replacement parts
its all about budget and realistic expectations.
I've had the same mains drill for 20 years and its still working fine (although its only ever had occasional use) whilst other people I know churn through corded and cordless power tools at a pretty high rate (often because they store them in a vehicle or an unheated shed) but I'd say overall you get greater longevity when you treat them with a bit of respect
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you