cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lisbon Treaty costing billions.

Devonian
Grafter

Lisbon Treaty costing billions.

The Lisbon treaty FORCED on us by LIEBOUR is costing us BILLIONS a year a leading business group has claimed.
I could have told them that!
I am 35 this year.
I have had this EU nonsense FORCED on me since birth.
Why forced?
Because I have never had any chance to have my say on the whole EU issue.
The older generation voted on my behalf, not only that, but they were duped into voting to join the EU.
I have never officially been asked my views, yet I am still expect to throw good money after bad to the tax man, so he can pass it to the treasury to throw truck loads of it at the EU.
The Governments of the past 20 years have been doing their very best to brain wash the country into giving up our way of life, our laws, our sovereignty to the very people we were at war with less than 80 years ago.
And they wonder why the country is in the mess it is today?
  http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/02/24/uk-britain-politics-eu-idUKBREA1N00820140224
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Lisbon Treaty costing billions.

Most of the so called EU red tape is the effect of international treaties which would need to abide by in any case
This is worth a read http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=84738
http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=84403
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Oldjim
Most of the so called EU red tape is the effect of international treaties which would need to abide by

Just like the other laws we have to abide by as part of europe.. despite the rest of europe not bothering in return!
European law only seems to affect us for some odd reason..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Devonian
Grafter

A prime example is the working ties regulation.
The UK is the only EU country that has a 48 hour opt out for workers if they sign to say they want to work more hours.
Most people I know that work full time hours do at least 50hours a week.  I do 60, more sometimes.
Yet the French, who average just 33 hours a week keep on trying to get the EU to FORCE the UK to drop the opt out arrangement, because France say it puts them at an unfair advantage.
Is it fair that a foreign country, that holds the UK is such contempt, can influence and even change the hours per week that I can work, and in turn influence the money in my pocket?
Community Veteran

The French average for full time workers was nearer 40 hours  http://www.rudebaguette.com/2013/07/30/35-hour-work-week-fading-as-the-average-full-time-work-week-i...; and according to this http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/life-easy-in-land-of-the-35hour-week-generous-holiday...
Official statistics suggest the French (41.2 hours a week) work slightly less on average than the Germans (41.9 hours) or British (42.8 hours). However, high unemployment, early retirement and long studies mean those French who do work are a smaller percentage of the willing and able-bodied population than in most European countries. They have an even higher productivity per worker than Germany’s but also greater stress.
Devonian
Grafter

Community Veteran

that was in 2012 and is contradicted buy my first link which describes it as a law without teeth
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool When Gordon Brown signed the Lisbum Treaty, he did so with "the full support of the British people." His words, not any one elses. Not even his own Foreign Secretary. And he showed up late for the signing, it was that important. Gordon, what a moron. For almost everyone of income tax paying age, no-one has ever been asked if it's okay to carry on? The EU brings us all of the costs without any of the benenfits. Anthing good is opted out and everything bad is gold plated with regulations. "It's an EU Directive". Bleat.
Brookies Bookies Odds on a Referendum from the following party leaders...

Millibland : 1 in 0 - New Labour doesn't do democracy.
Clegg: 1 in 0 - To be a Liberal you must embrace all things anti-British.
Cameron : 1 in 0 - Hell will freeze over first.
Farage : 1 in 0 - And give up that cushy MEP job Nigel?
Devonian
Grafter

Well how about the French teachers striking because they don't want to work more than 4.5 days a week?
They are saying 144 days work per year is more than enough.
http://www.thelocal.fr/20131112/french-schools-hit-by-three-days-of-strikes
Of course that is just 1 part of the work force, but it does show the French attitudes to work.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

need 'gallic shrug' emoticon.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

In or out of the EU it's a guarantee that whatever party is in power much of our money will still be squandered on numerous irrelevant things. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I used to have French people working for me in our Paris office(s) they used to work just as hard (except during August) as the people in other European offices, including the UK.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Devonian
Grafter

@Gleneagles I would rather it was squandered in Britain, at least then some of it would find it's way back into OUR economy.
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: Thunderclap
The EU brings us all of the costs without any of the benenfits

.. apart from 60% of our international trade, free movement of labour, protection against US and (now) Chinese economic dominence etc etc etc
As for all these 'terrible' rules the anti-EU brigade keep bleating on about: we created them - along with our partners - and we have agreed to them all.  The power in the EU is with the national governments: pretty much everything that's wrong with the EU (and there of course problems with it) is wrong because national governments have made it so .. then blamed the EU.  Don't be foolish enough to be taken in.
Plus, the country with the highest level of compliance with EU law is Norway, which isn't even in the EU.  It does, however need to to trade with the EU and consequently it has to be compliant, despite having zero say in what it has to comply with - exactly the situation we would be in if we went completely insane and decided to leave.  And don't believe the BS about us dictating terms if we left: the EU would be sure to make things as uncomfortable as possible, if only as a lesson to other countries.
Just because Rupert Murdoch hates the EU because it stopped him dominating it's media, don't believe the BS his papers write about it.
Devonian
Grafter

60% of our trade is in the EU?
The UK IMPORT much more than we EXPORT to the EU.
https://www.uktradeinfo.com/Statistics/EUOverseasTrade/Pages/EuOTS.aspx
So do you think being in or out of the EU would change that?
Look at the Isle of Man.  A tiny dot of land, that is not in the EU.  Yet is flourishing.
What makes you think things like free trade will need to end WHEN we eventually leave the EU?
Yes Norway may comply to EU rules.. but that is their CHOICE.  Not only that, but Norway is vastly different country to the UK.
What is wrong with the UK turning to the Commonwealth as trade partners? 
The EU need Britain much more than Britain needs the EU.
Why are you so pro EU?
Are you English? or are you an EU migrant?