cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Liquids in a Car

Fixes: 47

Liquids in a Car

I glanced down the road earlier and there was a car a few doors down with it's bonnet up.
The owner came out of his house with a clear plastic bottle with some liquid inside.
He went to the car, took a deep swig of the contents of the bottle and poured the rest into some container under the bonnet.
The fact that he took a drink of the liquid made me assume it was plain water (it appeared clear from my position) and if so, not the best thing to be topping up either cooling reservoir or screen wash bottle.
However if it wasn't plain water............ Huh
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Liquids in a Car

Cheap Vodka perhaps, better than anti freeze (and probably cheaper  Grin)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Might have been topping up his battery with distilled water  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If it was antifreeze it would probably tasted a lot better than some of the cheap wines on sale these days, not that he will be tasting any more wine or anything else if it was antifreeze  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I was working in Moscow a few years back and we used to hail a taxi cab to take us from the hotel to the office rather than taking a 40 minute walk in minus 15C. The route included a stretch of the "Garden Ring" which is a 50 metre wide street with 5 lanes of traffic in each direction during the rush hour. One day, unsurprisingly, the taxi broke down in the middle lane amid the traffic. The driver jumped out of his door carrying an open glass bottle, with a cry of "Nyet problem" and ignoring the cars whizzing past him strolled to the front of the car and tinkered with the engine pouring petrol on some part of the machine. He was soon revving the engine and charged off into the traffic. On the third such breakdown on that trip we left him at the roadside and continued the journey on foot.  I don't know which was more scary, the loose petrol inside the cab or the traffic rushing past on either side.
We did pay the fare before leaving!
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

You'll often find in countries where there ain't a lot of money that they'll come up with some very inventive bodges and hacks to keep things going for as long as possible. I admire the spirit if I'm honest, over in the west we're far too quick to throw things away.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

My brother-in-law has an ancient Lada in Ukraine which he used to drive us to a village around 200km away. I don't think he managed to get it going more than around 40mph although it was difficult to tell as the speedo didn't work.
At around 6pm he suddenly announced that we'd better leave as the lights didn't work so needed to get home before it was dark.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

1) I left an unopened drinks tin in a car overnight during a very cold snap a while back.
The next day it looked more like a Rugby ball.
No, I didn't attempt to open it when thawed, in the bin whilst frozen.
2) My windscreen washer jets froze up, and the windscreen was filthy, travelling along the Snake Pass, at night.
Pulled into a laybay...I opened a drinks tin, poured some on the windscreen, but it froze before I could put the wipers on !!
3) I was naughty, just the once, I threw a partially drunk opened drinks tin out of the opened passenger window, in a layby, towards the rubbish bin..
However, I threw it with the opened end towards myself.
Instant justice was dispensed however, as the liquid stayed where it was, as the tin was projected !!
Physics !
All in my Youth.
That's my liquids in a car stories.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
My brother-in-law has an ancient Lada in Ukraine which he used to drive us to a village around 200km away. I don't think he managed to get it going more than around 40mph although it was difficult to tell as the speedo didn't work.
At around 6pm he suddenly announced that we'd better leave as the lights didn't work so needed to get home before it was dark.

It's common in many of the eastern european countries to be driving old wrecks that would be declared unsafe over here. I drove one once out there and the clutch didn't exist. There was mild bite or no bite at all. When accelerating you just put your foot down as the clutch bite was so weak that you had to let go of the pedal completely and then that would try to stall the car through impact shock. Despite being used to the snow some of the drivers out there are utterly crazy and plain stupid too.
Community Veteran

I was running very low on water (stone thru radiator), radweld, eggs and Araldite kept the leak controlled for last 500 kilometres. The officials at Bordj Badji Mokhtar  (Border post) were sticklers for tidiness, all I had in liquid form was 150 litres of diesel and a half bottle of rum, ended up shaving with rum, couldn’t face shaving with diesel.
Car was a new (ish) Land Cruiser
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
I was working in Moscow a few years back and we used to hail a taxi cab to take us from the hotel to the office rather than taking a 40 minute walk in minus 15C. The route included a stretch of the "Garden Ring" which is a 50 metre wide street with 5 lanes of traffic in each direction during the rush hour. One day, unsurprisingly, the taxi broke down in the middle lane amid the traffic. The driver jumped out of his door carrying an open glass bottle, with a cry of "Nyet problem" and ignoring the cars whizzing past him strolled to the front of the car and tinkered with the engine pouring petrol on some part of the machine. He was soon revving the engine and charged off into the traffic.

I had a similar experience in Paris a "few" years ago, it was -27C then. SERIOUSLY COLD.
We'd flown into CDG and as ever the French were largely on strike. No trains, no buses, only taxis.
My business companion, a hardy Scotsman (It's better not describe some of our later activities that prove this) strolled outside in just a sports jacket and "caught" a taxi. I had bought a serious anorak, woolly hat etc.
En route to our hotel we admired the motorway signs warning of black ice, the trucks embedded in the embankments, the signs telling us it really WAS -27C, and the traffic passing us every mile or so when our driver stopped in lane to get out and chip away at the outside of the windscreen.  Crazy
We did get there though - Holiday Inn I think right by Les Halles.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

After one hair raising chauffeur driven Limo ( Hotel supplied) to the Airport in a Foreign Country, there were very nearly extra liquids in the car ! Embarrassed
And a few solids too... Embarrassed

Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
eggs kept the leak controlled for last 500 kilometres

So eggs really do work then?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes.... but only use the white bit. ! ! (albumen if you want the correct term ! )
Community Veteran

@shutter:- didn't know that at the time Undecided, just cracked 3 eggs into the radiator and prayed, was using 10 litres of water per 100 kilometers.