Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line rental.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Line rental.

Read this rather interesting argument earlier. Any views guys? 

https://conversation.which.co.uk/technology/why-pay-for-phone-line-rental-fibre-optic-broadband-bt-s...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Line rental.

FTTC uses the phone line so line rental is applicable 

FTTP uses optical cable to the premises so there is an argument

But PN FTTP is still a trial so they start off continuing to charge for the copper connection although there are examples on these fora where the phone connection has been discontinued by PN on request 

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Yes thats a old page 2012 a bit out of date , But the argument is still relevant .

I never use my landline , its only there so i can use FTTC and dont agree with paying full price for only part service .

There should be a way of separating the Phone from broadband line rental , so if you dont want the phone you only pay a percentage of the line rental !! Thumbs Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

even with FTTP there is still a "line" to maintain, it just happens to not be copper so line rental technically would still be applicable.

should the fibre link break between your house and the exchange is still needs repaired.
if you're not paying a line rental that contributes to the maintenance then what happens when a repair is required?
Minivanman
Hero

Hmm, why does this remind me of paying road toll charges.

Maybe it's time for the 'sisters of rebecca' to put in another appearance Wink

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/history/sites/themes/society/politics_rebecca_riots.shtml

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

Ah another piece on technology from Which?  Say no more.  For a consumer affairs organisation's they are very poor about getting things right / being clear on the story.

One way or another there is a cost in providing the circuit to the premises.  It has to be paid for.  With the public expectation that BROADBAND should be 'free' or cheaper than chips (and some of the current deals are cheaper than a portion of chips from the local chippy) without a 'line charge' (incorrectly though of as a 'phone' line) just how do people think the cost of the connection is going to be paid for.

...oh I forgot, you all want someone else to cover the cost!  If you don't want to pay for a 'phone' line then try doing your internet over your phone - the cost of that really will make your eyes water.

Minivanman
Hero

Whatever your view of Which, at least it puts discussions into the public domain. As for paying for a service, I have no problem with that but you must admit the current system is questionable. Why are they separated out? You pay for petrol at the garage..... but you'll also be charged for the road to get you there. This is not just an argument from an individual either, it is something that is being hotly debated in government circles as well.

Time for change, time for some sense and certainly time for fairness. 

Community Veteran

well with the petrol analogy
you need to pay for tax, insurance and have a valid MOT to be able to drive to get the petrol.
you can't use the petrol in a car without those other 3 costs.
Superuser
Superuser

That insight makes things much clearer.

Those who don't think they should pay line rental must be the same people who think they should not have to pay car insurance because they've never had an accident ... or believe the obligation applies to them.

Yes I exaggerate - the infrastructure has to be paid for, irrespective of how it is (or is not) used.  The first step shoild be to change the terminology from 'phone' line to 'communications services access' line.

Minivanman
Hero

OK, let me ask you this. Do you think the internet is an essential service - and not just any old 'steam driven' low speed service, but one that provides a reliable connection at a fair price.

Posters here keep going back to the "something for nothing" argument and that is not the case. Happy to pay, even happier to receive. 

Community Veteran

essential service? no
Superuser
Superuser

Essential means unable to live without it.

Convienient - yes; essential no!

Even as more and more government stuff goes on line, there is nothing approaching 'essential' that needs more than 2mbps.  Granted, there are lots of desirables which benefit from double-digit megabit speeds, but none of it is essential.

Minivanman
Hero

Not essential?

Then I disagree totally and I suspect, so will many more. What else I wonder do you regard as non essential - health care, roads, telephone, water supply, a decent bus service. How about gas and/or electric?

Like it or not, a reliable internet service at a fair price is essential in this day and age and I cannot imagine how anybody would disagree with that.  

Minivanman
Hero

Suggest to look up and reconsider the definition of the word. Ticked off

Community Veteran

can you live life without internet access? yes you can, thus it's not essential.

health care - yes essential
roads - yes essential
telephone - no
water supply - yes essential
a decent bus service - no

i don't think you've answered the question yet.. what do you deem a "fair" price?