Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line of Duty

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Line of Duty

Line of Duty drew over 9 million viewers.

How do they know what the viewing figures are for any program ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Line of Duty

There is a panel of viewers that get special hardware provided that tracks what they watch and the figures are extrapolated out to estimate the total population viewing figures.

TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles I think there is a viewing panel  who enter in a box what they are watching and that is then upscaled.

Personally not one of the 9 Million.. I already knew who H was.......a member of the group StepsCheesy

gleneagles
Community Veteran

Thanks for the replies, I guess they must have a few thousand people doing this but i wonder what margin of error there is ?

ffox
Pro

@Anonymous wrote:

.... a panel of viewers ... get special hardware provided that tracks what they watch and the figures are extrapolated out to estimate the total population viewing figures.

That's right.  We (and guests) sign in and out (button press) when watching the TV, and our magic box sends the data to big brother during the night.  There is also special software installed on our PCs, tablets and phones.  

They try hard to get a representative cross-section.  (We represent the really old oldies in the hood.)

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I'm sure I read once that 'the chosen few' were issued with a set-top box that could detect if someone left the room.

There must be a temptation to leave the TV on showing the most awful stuff in order to bring those programmes to the top of the ratings.  Shortly after we went digital in this country it was reported that one of the 'minor' channels, BBC4 I think it was, had as few as three viewers at times.  How could they establish that?

I know US TV companies get overnight ratings which are taken extremely seriously when it comes to deciding whether to recommission a series or discontinue it etc.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Anonymous wrote:

There is a panel of viewers that get special hardware provided that tracks what they watch and the figures are extrapolated out to estimate the total population viewing figures.

Of course these days that special hardware is known as a smart TV.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Viewing panel as said buy others.

Worked for the company that installed the equipment in peoples homes and it was such an easy job that I gave it up after a year. How daft was that.

Pay not that good but nice car and no more than two days/hours to suit for a weeks work - but then it was the first time I had ever worked on a yearly renewable contract (this was back in the 80s) so I guess I was just worried about not having a job at the end of it. 

And what did the panel member get out of it? Well apart form the 'kudos' of being on the panel, they also had their television repaired if it went wonky... which is where I came in.   Thumbs_Up

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Minivanman 

Just as a matter of interest and based on the small number of people you visited was there any particular pattern to the people who had these boxes ?

Specific age group ? Families ? single people ? elderly ? class ? ( I do not like the word 'class') but it still exists.

or perhaps there was no specific pattern you could see ?

Just curious.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

None that I was aware of, and we were never told how they were even selected. 

We never seemed to have 'posh' houses or even those dare I say it as an ex resident of one myself, council houses. All ages, and a 'middle of the road' mixture. If anything they worked on a sort of catchment area basis so I guess there was some sort of selection process going on rather than random. 

The data was polled overnight and then fed directly to the British Audience Research Board (BARB) 

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Nowadays they could just use an expanded version of the programme Gogglebox, which seems to have quite a diverse group of viewers, including a posh-sounding couple.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

The BARB site tells you everything you need to know

https://www.barb.co.uk/about-us/how-we-do-what-we-do/

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

In my day and back then,such information was not so easily available plus I guess means, methods and objectives have changed somewhat over the past thirty years. We were also 'one removed' from BARB by working for the company that supplied them with the data. I do know that advertising played a big part of it.

Interesting read all the same, so thanks.