cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightscribe disks

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Lightscribe disks

Anybody used Lightscribe disks? are they any good? I usually use the plain white "printable" disks when the "mood takes me" but was thinking of trying out Lightscribe when the current batch runs out.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Lightscribe disks

itsme
Grafter

Believe you require a compatible drive.
Community Veteran

Well apparently the drive fitted in my PC is Lightscribe compatible, thanks for the link Chemical Brother.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 125

I recently bought some Verbatim lightscribe discs but haven't got round to using them yet. As the discs were a fair bit more expensive than the usual ones I buy I am waiting for a particular video project to be completed before trying.
I'd be happy to hear of your experiences once you've tried and I'll share mine here soon.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

My laptop has a lightscribe facility but I've never got round to using it so I would be interested to hear your experiences Petlew.  Thanks for the link Chemical Brother.
Community Veteran

Well it seems the technology and resulting quality might not be the limiting factor!! getting hold of the disks might be though. 1 x PC world, 2 x Staples, 2 x Currys, 2 x Comet and 1 Argos could come up with only one pack of DVD Lightscribe disks between them, and those were DVD+R, I was looking for -R (my DVD player/recorder doesn't play +R's)
I've ordered a small pack from Amazon now, but I was surprised at their unavailability.

Community Veteran

No problems chaps,
I forgot to mention this link too http://www.lightscribe.com/ there's a few resources there too which might be useful.
I have a lightscribe drive on the main PC which I bought "'er indoors" last year, but as everyone has said, the downside is the cost and the availability of the media.
if I find a cheap, plentiful supply, I'll shout up.
Best regards.
R.
EDIT; Petlew, you mentioned Staples, and I found this:http://www.staples.co.uk/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=%2C&webid=397835&affixedcode=WW which state they are DVD-R and seem to be available too
Community Veteran

Thanks for that Chemical Brother, the one pack found (unwanted DVD+R) was in the Hemel Hempstead branch of Staples, the Watford Staples didn't have any.

Community Veteran

They have them here Petlew:
http://tinyurl.com/ck5js5
Community Veteran

Just found some more here:
http://tinyurl.com/cwy3oh
Community Veteran

Thanks artmo, the disks I actually ordered from Amazon are £3.42 for 10 which is comparable with those you linked +postage of course. They come in larger packs than that of course but, I don't want to waste too much money on them just in case I'm not keen on the effect. In most cases till now, when I've wanted to be artistic on disks I've been quite happy with the white faced printable disks...we'll see, I have a feeling for home use it might just be a bit of a gimmick. Although setting up to print disks can be a pain sometimes, there a a lot of steps to get right with the Canon setup, and a lot of parts to lose as well, being able to just turn the disk over in the same drive has some appeal.

jackoab
Grafter

I've used thrm but found them very slow and also are only monochrome so I reverted to printing the labels seperately using Sure Thing which has always delivered very good labels.
Community Veteran

Of all the printing systems I found Sure Thing to be the best.
I'm sure you'll also know if you want a CD label from a professionally recorded CD you can download the label for printing.
jackoab
Grafter

@artmo,
                I've  also found Sure Thing the best, also if you have difficulty finding a Cover I scan the original and print from the scan.