cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lights Out

Community Veteran

Lights Out

My County Council, Essex, is to hold consultations about turning street lights off at night between midnight and 5am. They estimate it will save £900,000 a year.
Trials have been taking place in 2 parts of the county, Maldon and Uttlesford, since 2007 and these have generally been successful.
One of my fears is the potential increase in crime but according to Essex Police crime actually decreased by up to 14% in the trial areas.
Has anyone had experience of this scheme?
Lights Out
18 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Lights Out

Yes. Been operational in Ipswich for most of the winter. I can understand how non-violent  crime rate goes down as the side streets are so dark that no burglar can see what their are doing without using a torch. Only criticism is that they switch off a light on a path that is a long series of steps which become tricky to negotiate when dark. 
Community Veteran

Apparently lights at major junctions or dangerous spots will still be on.  There will also be an appeal procedure if you think a light needs to be put back on again.
Community Veteran

I wonder how much of the so called drop in crime is simply due to law abiding people deciding not to go out in the dark? Not to go to the shops because it's so dark.
After all it's their fault they're robbed on the streets. Can't blame the non existent police patrols or the council can you?
Lock up the potential victims and stop the crime.
Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
I wonder how much of the so called drop in crime is simply due to law abiding people deciding not to go out in the dark? Not to go to the shops because it's so dark

Did you not see the hours suggested are midnight to 5am?  Can't imagine people going to Tesco during those hours. Undecided Undecided
itsme
Grafter

Who go shopping between midnight and 05:00?
Fixes: 47

Shift workers?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

I would be interested to see how many household, especially opposite a T-junction complain about car headlights. On the side roads that I use to get to my house are so dark that full beam is required.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
Shift workers?

How many shift workers knock off between midnight and 5am? I use to regularly shop at 4am and I was the only one doing so.
JamesM
Grafter

There will also be an appeal procedure if you think a light needs to be put back on again

There goes the £900,000 savings then  Grin
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: itsme
Who go shopping between midnight and 05:00?

I do !
Often being awake at these times, I sometimes take the opportunity to pop into my local Tesco.
Just before 5-6am is best, when the shelves have been re-stocked.
And my local Co-op Superstore has started opening at 7am.
No customers, no queues, very friendly staff.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Edinburgh Castle, as well as the Forth Bridge, is taking part in Earth Hour.
On Saturday March 31st, the castle will be turning off its floodlights for an hour between 8.30pm and 9.30pm as part of the world wide event.
Susan Loch, Head of Visitor Operations for Historic Scotland said: “Historic Scotland is committed to looking at ways to reduce our carbon emissions and we will shortly be launching our Carbon Action Plan.
“We are proud to support Earth Hour through switching off the lights at our properties on Saturday 31st March 31st and being part of this global statement on climate change.”
Launched in 2007 in Australia, the initiative has grown to be a global phenomenon with hundreds of millions of people around the world participating. In 2011, more than 5,200 cities and towns in 135 countries worldwide took part.
Jenny Dawe, City of Edinburgh Council Leader, said: “I am delighted that Edinburgh is marking WWF's Earth Hour.
“This year promises to be better than ever and will send out a bold visual message that we all must take action to tackle climate change.
“The Council takes tackling climate change very seriously, recognising that small actions make big differences. I would encourage everyone to play their part and turn off lights to mark this global event.”
Community Veteran

I'm old enough to remember when street lights went off anyway at midnight (timers not light sensors). I can't see why it would make a lot of difference.  It must also be possible to rig the lights to cut off power to those people who are nicking their power from the street lights at the same time.
Surely anyone who's out after midnight is as likely to get mugged with the lights on as with them off, and surely burglars simply go round to the side of the house, where there aren't any lights.
The headlights point is a good one, but surely those houses already have curtains and blinds to keep out the light from the street lights.
John
PS Just had a thought though - I bet the electricity companies have to put their prices up, in order to recover the profits  from £900,000 worth of electricity, so we all end up paying it anyway.  Crazy
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: artmo
Can't imagine people going to Tesco during those hours. Undecided Undecided
I have seen me doing some shopping at that time of the morning, Its the best time to do It If you can, No stuck behind complaining old farts, No one running through you with a trolley, I can actually get to the shelf where I want to buy something with no fuss at all. I actually spend a bit more money this way though I guess as Its not a quick In and out job.
Community Veteran

Quote from: hulls
I'm old enough to remember when street lights went off anyway at midnight (timers not light sensors). I can't see why it would make a lot of difference.  It must also be possible to rig the lights to cut off power to those people who are nicking their power from the street lights at the same time.

Do people really nick electricity from a street light Undecided Undecided
I also can remember when street lights went out around midnight.  Wonder why that changed Undecided
At a narrow part in my High Street there is one light that has a sensor connected to it and it switches on automatically as a vehicle approaches then goes out a short time after.  This seems a good idea.