Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Light Aircraft - wots up doc ?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Light Aircraft - wots up doc ?

Idling through my bookmarks, I "landed" on my Flight  Radar 24 site...

https://www.flightradar24.com/51,-1.97/6

Normally, there are a few light aircraft around... by "a few"  I mean, maybe one or two... but for some reason, today... there are hundreds of them... and all over France too...

I reckon there must be some "international pilots remembrance day" for something or other... anyone any ideas ?

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Light Aircraft - wots up doc ?

No idea but it sure looks crowded.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@shutter 

I'm pretty sure it's because the embargo on private light aircraft flights has just ended and they will all have to do a "refresher" flight with an instructor to make sure that everything is up to scratch. Social distancing meant that two people couldn't be in the cabin at the same time and the govt put a 42 day ban on private flying initially. And it's a nice day! 😁

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Flying saucers?

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 44

@Minivanman -welcome back! And you never know.😁

John
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@nozzer wrote:

@shutter 

I'm pretty sure it's because the embargo on private light aircraft flights has just ended uldn't be in the cabin at the same time and the govt put a 42 day ban on private flying initially.

Just ended? Light aircraft have been flying in and out of my local airfield for weeks.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@shutter wrote:

... anyone any ideas ?

It wouldn't be those fockers in their Messerschmitts again by any chance?  Wink Cheesy

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

That old chestnut.

Or should I have posted that on the tree thread?

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 44

@billnotben 😁 It might have done better on there - replace the fallen tree with it, maybe?

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@idonno 

In that case they weren't private light aircraft. They must have been operating for commercial reasons such as surveying etc. That was allowed and classed as "essential". My son in law has a private pilot's license and is waiting to have his post shutdown recheck. 

I think @shutter  was referring to the many small aircraft that appeared over the past few days. Admittedly not all private, but most were.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 24

@jab1 wrote:

@Minivanman -welcome back! And you never know.😁

+1

Behind every successful man is a surprised woman
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@idonno 

This was issued on June 30th and details the reopening of general aviation sites and systems.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-general-aviation/coronavirus-covid-1...

@idonno wrote:

@nozzer wrote:

@shutter 

I'm pretty sure it's because the embargo on private light aircraft flights has just ended uldn't be in the cabin at the same time and the govt put a 42 day ban on private flying initially.

Just ended? Light aircraft have been flying in and out of my local airfield for weeks.

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 1

@Minivanman  welcome back!Smiley

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@nozzer On FR24... if you click on an aircraft icon... you will (usually) see a pic  of the aircraft and quite a lot of detail, including course, speed, and altitude, on the map you will see a "trail" of its movements .

Many of the icons showing as small planes, are , indeed private planes.. and many, I suspect will be twin seater (or more) in which case the flight recheck idea seems plausible, where a more senior pilot will be alongside the actual owner/pilot flying the plane, giving the assessment.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@nozzer wrote:This was issued on June 30th and details the reopening of general aviation sites and systems.

Presumably only one pilot on board then. 😀

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?