cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life smells...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Life smells...

If you believe the media and certain types of TV crime reality shows, these day's a large percentage of the population is pie-eyed on cannabis.

Neighbours are concerned about the strange smells from near-by properties, traffic police are pulling drivers left right and centre with small plastic bags of "vegetation" that "smells like cannabis. But occasionally proves not to be, and anyway the "arrestee" is quite often released without charge. through lack of evidence.

Well, I for one have never smelt cannabis. Have never smoked it or used any other drug stronger than aspirin. Nor, do I know anybody who has (as far as I know). I've also been tee-total for over 45 years, but that not relevant here.

So if its so common, what does cannabis smell like? Just in case some of the kids on my coach are having a crafty puff by an open window.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Life smells...

You'd know what it smells like when you catch a whiff it, it's an over-powering stench that makes a cigar smell like a bouquet of flowers, it's kind of like when you burn green garden waste in a bonfire, but with an acridity that is hard to describe, it stinks basically, and the slightest odour of it makes me feel sick to my stomach...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

petlew wrote:

Well, I for one have never smelt cannabis. Have never smoked it or used any other drug stronger than aspirin. Nor, do I know anybody who has (as far as I know). I've also been tee-total for over 45 years, but that not relevant here.

So if its so common, what does cannabis smell like?

Disgusting thats what it smells like.

It's hard to describe but i'd say a strong musty smell but also slightly herbal-ish. It doesn't help that there are apparently different versions an ex colleague told me once.

I find the stuff is disgusting but those who smoke it will defend that and tell you its rubbish (well they would wouldn't they). It often makes me feel sick too. We have a HMO here with some dodgy people living in it and every now and then a black BMW turns up that stinks of it. I had the misfortune of speaking to the driver once (actually a pleasant young chap instead of a thug) but i felt sick for the best part of 15 minutes because his car stunk so much. It was vile.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
bjallenby
Aspiring Pro

twocvbloke wrote:

it's an over-powering stench that makes a cigar smell like a bouquet of flowers

Used to be a heavy cannabis smoker and am also cigar smoker, cannabis is a much more "pleasant" aroma depending on the strain to the smell of cigars.

It's been a long long time since I smoked weed though. Still a semi-regular cigar smoker. But smoking a cigar is an event thing. Something you have to put aside time for.

I remembered this story from a while back.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/oct/08/cannabis-plant-elderly-couples-garden

These days I have little interest in cannabis for the THC / getting high aspect. I'd love to be able to get my hands on high CBD / pain killing strains. Otherwise known as "hippies disappointment" because it doesn't get you high. But does a hell of a job of killing the pain of bulging disc in your back and is a hell of a lot better for you than loading up on benzos and morphine and its substitutes. Those can get you hooked and there's a severe problem of abuse with "hill-billy heroin" in the US because doctors throw Oxycodone at everything, when, if they prescribed CBD strains of marijuana instead there'd be a much smaller problem.

Community Veteran

bjallenby wrote:

twocvbloke wrote:

it's an over-powering stench that makes a cigar smell like a bouquet of flowers

Used to be a heavy cannabis smoker and am also cigar smoker, cannabis is a much more "pleasant" aroma 

That depends on perspective. To those who have / do smoke it they'd agree with you but to the rest of the world the stuff is awful and makes many feel sick!

I'd hate it to ever become legal purely for the fact that entire areas would be no-go for many people.

Community Veteran

Smells of grass. Guess that's why it's so named.

But I have to agree with a neighbour who prefers whacky baccy smokers to drunks.

Whacky smokers tend to be mellow while drunks often are abusive and violent.

Community Veteran

Yeah thats true and in fairness they're probably less likely to go round committing crime than those on other drugs.

Fixes: 125

twocvbloke wrote:

You'd know what it smells like when you catch a whiff it, it's an over-powering stench that makes a cigar smell like a bouquet of flowers, it's kind of like when you burn green garden waste in a bonfire, but with an acridity that is hard to describe, it stinks basically, and the slightest odour of it makes me feel sick to my stomach...

^^^^^

This!

I tend to end up with a sore throat if I am within smelling distance for too long.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

it's just when they're "mellow" behind the wheel of a car that things get dangerous, whether they see it like that or not, it's still a crime, so, yeah, cannabis users can commit crime, they're just too stoned to realise it...

bjallenby
Aspiring Pro

7up wrote:

That depends on perspective. To those who have / do smoke it they'd agree with you but to the rest of the world the stuff is awful and makes many feel sick!

I'd hate it to ever become legal purely for the fact that entire areas would be no-go for many people.

You're right of course. It does depend on perspective. Something you lack considering in your earlier post you said;

"It doesn't help that there are apparently different versions an ex colleague told me once."

So your perspective is based on second hand evidence from an ex colleauge and an alleged interaction with a driver who you assumed to be a thug because he arrived at an HMO, but once you actually engaged him he turned out to be alright. How's the weather up there on your high horse? And as for if it being made legal areas would become "no-go" I take it the several states in America that have legalised it are all no-go areas in your holier than thou world now?

Cannabis legislation doesn't work.

Those who are adamantly against cannabis are usually old, have had it hammered into their heads that "all drugs are bad, mkay" by the media and government, are completely unwilling to take into account the medicinal benefits that cannabis has over opium based (that is the same stuff heroin comes from) medicines, refuse to take into account the kinds of money that could be made from taxation that could help bolster the NHS and fix the problems that a drug policy system that doesn't work has had. In 2015 nearly 9000 people died from alcohol related illness in the UK. There's a bigger problem in our society and irrational legislation of cannabis based on scare tactics, ignorance and idiotic government policy (like when they fired a government advisor who stated ecstasy and LSD weren't as dangerous as alcohol, which of course is entirely statistically correct but didn't align with party policy) is a large part of that.

https://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/alcohol-statistics

But sure, alcohol has the green light from the government, so it's perfectly acceptable.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/dec/02/alcohol-related-lost-output-and-ill-health-costs-uk-...

Booze costs the UK 52 billion a year.

Community Veteran

bjallenby wrote:

7up wrote:

You're right of course. It does depend on perspective. Something you lack considering in your earlier post you said;

"It doesn't help that there are apparently different versions an ex colleague told me once."

So your perspective is based on second hand evidence from an ex colleauge Well it explains why sometimes it seems to be worse than others yes. and an alleged interaction with a driver who you assumed to be a thug because he arrived at an HMO, No, it's because he turned up in a black beemer - which you'd nomally associate with being a dealer / thug but once you actually engaged him he turned out to be alright. How's the weather up there on your high horse? Great actually, thanks for asking mate Cool smiley And as for if it being made legal areas would become "no-go" I take it the several states in America that have legalised it are all no-go areas in your holier than thou world now?

IF they stink then yes, those areas would be no-go for many folks like myself who feel sick when they smell it.

Not really much else i can say to you...

bjallenby
Aspiring Pro

Well it explains why sometimes it seems to be worse than others yes

How would you know unless you're around it enough to tell the difference in aromas? For someone that claims to get sick by the smell of it, you're not doing a very good job of keeping away from it.

No, it's because he turned up in a black beemer - which you'd nomally associate with being a dealer / thug

That is exactly the response I expected from you.

Great actually, thanks for asking mate

This too, because of the above. You really think a lot of yourself don't you?

IF they stink then yes, those areas would be no-go for many folks like myself who feel sick when they smell it.

And like I said in the thread that got cleared before everyone could see the last time you posted something idiotic, you need to grow a pair of testicles and man up. For someone that apparently spends so much time around it and is able to discern different types based on some smelling worse than others, yet still somehow find the aroma unpleasant enough to be repulsive and make you sick...

I mean, I'm not calling you a liar. I'm just saying you're full of it.

Community Veteran

Blah blah blah..

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

@petlew

It smells like my greenhouse tomatoes.....at least I think they are tomatoes! 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

I love the smell of my hands after handling the tomato plants and the bright colour when you wash your hands.

Far out groovy man.