cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life Sentencing

Fixes: 47

Life Sentencing

Why is a life sentence not for life and
why do prisoners get time off a sentence for 'good behaviour' when the are in prison for bad behaviour. Huh
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
69 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Life Sentencing

I think that they are let out on licence but can be put back in prison at any time if they are naughty. That applies for rest of life.
Very few actually get whole life tariff
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I know what you mean by time off for good behaviour.  I've always thought that they should serve the amount of time that they are given (and the sentences given to be suitable), and any "bad" behaviour should mean their sentence is increased.  If that means someone is then sentenced to 4 years rather than 8 then at least everything is spelt out from the beginning.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

One thing I am not clear about regarding life sentence is that if a person is found guilty and gets a life sentence they will remain in jail until they admit to the crime.
There have been cases of people being kept in prison for 20 years or more because they refuse to admit they are guilty.
Community Veteran

There have also been people who plead innocent who then were found to have been wrongly jailed too. Framed by the fuzz purely because they didn't like them for whatever reason or because the evidence was flawed.
Miscarriages of justice do happen. Just look at deidre on corrie! lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

And people who have pleaded their innocence, finally be pardoned and let out only to commit another crime similar to what they went down for in the first place.
Jo Davis springs to mind.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Not sure if It's still applicable but a juvenile could get a life sentence-although under another name.
It was/is 'Detained at her majestys pleasure'.  So until they are mot considered a threat...possibly life!
nanotm
Pro

they need ot bring back capital punishment and stop wasting money keeping the dross at taxpayers expense, if you deserve a whole of life tariff its cheaper to just be topped and be done with it!
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

I think whole life sentences were banned by the European Courts and it is now necessary to state a minimum number of years in all cases.
nanotm
Pro

indeed now they must specify 99 year terms, those are still apparently legal as they have a defined end date  Grin
a totally pointless interference by the ECHR but nonetheless still very amusing for them to make such a stupid stand clearly indicating that the whole human rights bill is geared around criminal rights and not human rights! still it did manage to gain UKIP and a few other fascist parties some more supporters  Sad
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
Why is a life sentence not for life and
why do prisoners get time off a sentence for 'good behaviour' when the are in prison for bad behaviour. Huh

Because criminals are favoured over the law abiding public.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

we have an archaic legal system that is not fit for purpose in the modern age.  talk to lawyers like harry potter (i kid you not) and he will aver that there are too many laws, too many of them are obscurantist and parliament suffers from legislative diarrhoea.  add to that the inability of society to determine whether prison should be retributive, or rehabilitive and you have a recipe for the monumental mess we have at present.
RichAllen
Grafter

It's because of some stupidity from the ECHR (European Court of Human Rights) about being detained at HRH's pleasure for long periods.
It's like having the criminal age of responsibility for kids as low as 10, waste of time IMO because everyone knows the law won't do anything meaningfully deterrent to young scrotes.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: nanotm
they need ot bring back capital punishment...
For some of the more heinous (murder, child abuse) of crimes I agree. Unfortunately we have too many do-gooders who say capital punishment should not be part of a modern, civil society. What they seem to forget is that the perpetrators of such crimes have shown no civility to society themselves so should not be shown any back.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

RichAllen
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
they need ot bring back capital punishment and stop wasting money keeping the dross at taxpayers expense, if you deserve a whole of life tariff its cheaper to just be topped and be done with it!

Won't happen, people have been asking for it for years, but capital punishment coming back will NEVER happen, for various reasons.