cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life Expectancy

Community Veteran

Life Expectancy

Life expectancy varies greatly in the UK.  Those living in Dorset have the highest life expectancy at 83 years.
Life Expectancy
Good news for Old Jim Wink
14 REPLIES
randpwar
Grafter

Re: Life Expectancy

That depends if he's anywhere close to 83 I'd say  Wink
Fixes: 47

It's easy to calculate your life expectancy.
Wait until someone refers to you as middle aged, note the date they said it and apply this formula.
(Middle age date - Birth date) x 2
Or simply multiply your current age by 2.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

@Strat - how old were you in the middle ages ?  Tongue
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: randpwar
That depends if he's anywhere close to 83 I'd say

And in which direction...  Lips are sealed
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: purleigh
@Strat - how old were you in the middle ages ?   Tongue

I don't recall anyone telling me. I must have missed it Cry
Or maybe I haven't got there yet Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: randpwar
That depends if he's anywhere close to 83 I'd say  Wink

Life expectancy (50% chance of reaching at least a given age) depends on the age one has already reached. If one is 82 the odds of reaching 83 are substantially better than 50%. If one is 84 then the probability that one will live until at least 83 are 100%.
A child aged 1 year has a better chance of surviving for the following year than a new-born baby.
I remember learning about life expectancy at school many many years ago when I was I think about 14. The teacher cheered the class up by telling us that it was downhill all the way from there. Up until that age the chances of surviving the following year increased. After that age the chances of surviving the next year decreased.
Community Veteran

This link has a table of the best and worst parts of the country for life expectancy.
Good and Bad
Community Veteran

That really is a load of tosh.
It's not where you live it's how you live.
For instance Bournemouth / Eastbourne always gets highly rated for life expectancy.
Generally to retire there you need to be fairly well off. So it follows you will live comfortably, eat well, and get good medical attention.
They matter more than your homes position on a map.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Actually that isn't correct
Bournemouth isn't East Dorset and has a relatively poor life expectancy
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/10571512.UPDATED__How_long_will_you_live__Depends_where_you_li...
Bournemouth: 78.6 male (215th), 83.3 female (161st)
Poole: 80.1 male (114th), 84.1 female (79th)
East Dorset: 83.0 male (1st), 86.4 female (1st)
Christchurch: 81.6 male (15th), 85.3 female (11th)
North Dorset: 81.8 male (10th), 8.5.5 female (8th)
Purbeck: 80.8 male (53rd), 85.8 female (5th)
West Dorset: 80.5 male (75th), 84.9 female (23rd)
Community Veteran

Generally to retire there you need to be fairly well off. So it follows you will live comfortably, eat well, and get good medical attention.
I'll stick my neck out and say that's definitely correct as is Eastbourne.
But if you want to nitpick I'll let Bournemouth go.
And a quote from Joan Bakewell agreeing with me and the obvious:-
But there are other considerations too, that account for the differences. Today’s older people, with enough money to retire in comfort, often move to Dorset. It has more care homes than any other county and along the front at Weymouth you can hire motorised buggies by the hour. So the statistics are swollen by ageing and healthy people making the choice to be there. In response, Dorset council has created a truly pioneering strategy to meet the needs of the influx. It is investing in keeping people healthy and spends money rehabilitating those who need short-term hospital treatment: it’s called “re-abling”. This enlightened policy is obviously beginning to pay off. So an environment already beneficial to old age has become more so.
Community Veteran

In one of the articles I read on this a question was asked as to why Manchester was towards the bottom of the list.
A wag said it was due to the suicide rate.  People living in Manchester hated the place so much they were driven to suicide. Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I know parts of London where life expectancy is quite short after dark.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I can't speak for Eastbourne but in the case of Bournemouth there are a number of  very large sink estates where the income compared to living costs is fairly low (not mention drug addicts etc.)
This explains why Bournemouth is much worse than Poole which adjoins it.
In relation to East Dorset Joan Bakewell is correct but there is also the fact that it is a rural area with no large centres of population and even the poorer element tend to have access to the countryside and looking at the statistics the percentage of East Dorset residents who smoke is only about 14%
As a comparison Bornemouth is about 20% England average is 24.1% and the worst area of England is 40.9%
This graph is very telling and shows that either the old have more sense or less money
Community Veteran

That seems true of the Bournemouth of today.
I don't know if I'm remembering Bournemouth through rose tinted glasses. I just seem to remember it being so much nicer a few decades ago.