cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lidi Management

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Lidi Management

According to the BBC news Lidi have contracts with suppliers that goods will be delivered to their stores with all taxes, tariffs and any other costs paid for by the supplier, I wonder how many others in business have made such arrangements ?

I accept of course that if the price of such goods increases it will be passed on to the consumer but it might reduce the risk of any shortages.

18 REPLIES 18
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Lidi Management

Slight enhancement needed from that BBC report?

This applies to those goods coming across the border from Ireland if I'm reading it right neither, has it actually been imposed yet. Nothing new either as the contract to supply tariff free was in place before Brexit and importers have been presented it seems to me with a fait accompli.

All fair in business and at the BBC, or maybe not.

Interesting comment from one reader at least at the end of that article.

"Well done BBC for promoting speculative stories based on if's might's and maybe's promoting Project Fear .."

wotsup
Aspiring Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

Interesting comment from one reader at least at the end of that article.

"Well done BBC for promoting speculative stories based on if's might's and maybe's promoting Project Fear .."

That is the job of the Brexit Bashing Corporation - to spread fear amongst the great unwashed ( and the washed ).. and they are funded in their rumour mongering by a legally enforceable licence fee... disgraceful...

Community Veteran

I think somebody somewhere is interpreting this the wrong way round. Having read the reports it's a problem for supplies into the Irish Republic as the EU will impose duties on goods from outside (i.e. UK).

So prices in Ireland for UK goods will increase or they become unavailable as unprofitable to sell?

Presumably the same would apply throughout the EU so will have an impact on UK exporters.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

I think you may be right, I certainly did. Smiley

Import export, let's call the whole things off! 

wotsup
Aspiring Champion

Quote from BBC article... looks like Irish consumers / UK exporters to EU will be hit most in any tariff war, but they can get their Stilton cheese from France once the product origin protection rules are kicked out, and we can sell our superior English Champagne to .anyone that wants to buy it..  And we can buy as much cheap chlorine washed chicken from USA as we can eat ( I have not heard any rumours about Germany building U-Boats to stop transatlantic trade,  but you never know, but lets face it the German military is a joke nowadays, and the person who made it a joke is set to replace J-C Drunkers in November LOL).

"Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said that the UK will leave the EU with or without a deal on 31 October.

While he has committed to cutting most tariffs on foreign goods being imported into the UK, tariffs for goods exported from the UK to the EU are outside of his control".

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

No doubt it will all come out in the wash after a (fingers crossed) Brexit, but just reading this from a Kings College report:

One of the main changes that would immediately result on this day is that the UK will need to apply its own tariff rates on its imports. It will not be bound by the EU’s common external tariffs. It will also not be eligible for zero tariffs on exports to the EU. And, it will lose the benefits of almost all of the EU’s trade agreements, which cover 82 countries. To date, just seven of these trade agreements have been converted into continuity agreements, and none of these are with a major trade partner of the UK.

As for the German military "they are the second largest in the European Union behind France.... " Roll eyes

wotsup
Aspiring Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

As for the German military "they are the second largest in the European Union behind France.... " Roll eyes

On paper only, a recent Nato exercise supposed to be led by Germany found that the majority of their military equipment was unserviceable and no spares available, this included everything, tanks, aircraft, subs everything ... and as I said their former defence minister that oversaw the gutting of their military is taking over from Drunckers..... 

https://www.statista.com/chart/13077/the-german-military-is-woefully-unprepared-for-action/

Fixes: 305

What's Lidi. Google says it's a guesthouse in Budapest.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 69.0 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Community Veteran

@Strat wrote:

What's Lidi.

I prefer Aldl.       Smiley

Community Veteran

@Strat wrote:

What's Lidi. Google says it's a guesthouse in Budapest.

Ask anyone who cannot afford to shop in Sainsburys, Tesco or other large supermarkets.

Wink

Community Veteran

@billnotben wrote:

I prefer Aldl.       :smiley

I prefer the one that's the shortest distance from my house?

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@billnotben 

A neighbour of ours shops at S&M. Tongue

Community Veteran

It's all about the l's and i's

Lidi Lidl

Aldl Aldi

I'm sure you all knew that.

That said I guess I really do prefer Aldl Aldi.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Pretty much the same I've found - we have them both in Carmarthen but tend to shop for bulk in either one of those and for other stuff, at Tesco or in Sainsbury's

Not posh enough in this part of the country for a Waitrose. Wink