cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licence Dodgers

Community Veteran

Licence Dodgers

I was surprised to hear on the radio today that 10% of cases in the Magistrate Court are for TV licence dodging.  This seems very high. 
Dodgers
That amounts to 3000 cases per week. The cost of a colour TV licence is currently £145 per year.
106 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Licence Dodgers

Not round here, more like nicking from T's or A's rather than not paying for a TV licence.
Did it say which area or was it in general?
Community Veteran

The article says 145,000 people prosecuted in a year so I assume the figures are nationwide.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Are there any figures for the total number of people who were sent to jail every week for not having a TV License ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

This is where it came from http://www.cityam.com/article/1377046054/exclusive-tv-licence-offences-responsible-tenth-all-uk-cour...
This was the question - I haven't found the answer yet
Lord Laird to ask Her Majesty’s Government how many people in 2012 were summoned to appear at magistrates’ courts in England for failure to pay a television licence fee; how many were proceeded against at such courts; how many were found guilty of fee evasion; what percentage of magistrates’ work is related to dealing with such crimes; what is the estimated annual cost of this court operation; and what proportion of those charged with licence fee evasion were women. [ MoJ ]
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Are there any figures for the total number of people who were sent to jail every week for not having a TV License ?

Prison is only an option if a fine is not paid as I understand it.  The BBC stated in my original link that only 74 people had been imprisoned in the past 5 years. I assume the rest all paid up.
Glenn
Grafter

Why should I have to pay the commie tv licence to have the beeb push their marxist drivle, lies and propaganda down my throat....it's a disgrace that it's allowed to continue.
Angry
I don't watch tv anymore...I watch stuff online  Wink
Razer
Grafter

I'd be more interested in figures for how many false reports BBC goons make up in order to get a cut for getting someone in court and fined, and how many people who are actually not guilty but don't know the law and their rights and so blindly sign false reports and render themselves guilty 'in the eyes of the law' (which are of course wholly blind) by default.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Glenn
Why should I have to pay the commie tv licence to have the beeb push their marxist drivle, lies and propaganda down my throat....it's a disgrace that it's allowed to continue.

[sic]
I hope you watch BBC programmes online, but recorded, exclusively.

Community Veteran

Quote from: Glenn

If that's the case and you follow the rules mentioned in post #8 you will not need a licence.
Community Veteran

It is a big IF. If I could SHMBO that she could watch all her programs offline then I could save £150/year. But it just ain't going to happen  Cry Personally I don't feel the need to watch ANY life TV, and rarely watch recorded programs (by her) other than Countryfile, The Hairybikers (of course!) & the Great British Bake off. The rest I can get off iplayer or why.
Mostly I watch stuff off my server not off live feeds. But she loves to channel hop  Tongue
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Of course the logical conclusion if everyone uses the 'I saved my licence fee by only watching recordings via iPlayer' argument is no new programmes get made so there's no iPlayer content to watch...
Interesting moral argument as well Smiley
Community Veteran

No its about time the fee was scrapped. BBC already has advertising (outside UK) so not so big a leap to add it here, then they could get rid of the FILLERS, here's what we showed you a few min/last week etc from the shows.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Ah, the advertising argument....
And how much more per year are you prepared to pay for the goods you buy to fund the advertising that will generate enough revenue to make the programmes you like to watch?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: pwatson

how much more per year are you prepared to pay  .................................. to fund the advertising that will generate enough revenue to make the programmes you like to watch?

Dunno..... How much does it cost to make Emmerdale?    Undecided