Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Libya Live....How SKY News is doing it

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Libya Live....How SKY News is doing it

Live Satellite video feed from SKY News reporter Alex Crawford from back of moving truck overnight, around midnight onwards, using this portable Satellite equipment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_Global_Area_Network
http://www.inmarsat.com/Services/Land/BGAN/Terminals/default.aspx
16 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Libya Live....How SKY News is doing it

I would have thought that the BBC and ITV were doing the same, as they could not have a truck system from where they were reporting
Infinity
Pro

Sadly, not so.
Watching Live it was obvious the disparity in Live coverage.
SKY News were transmitting from the back of a moving truck direct to satellite for hours.

BBC News had a reporter holed up in the 5 star Hotel Rixos bedroom.
Then they finally dragged people out of bed for phone interviews, then talking heads in the studio a couple of hours later.

ITV, ITN News, Nightscreen, no News bulletins overnight that I saw, their news was on at 05:30, with an uplinked report.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont know what you were watching, but the BBC and ITV at around 6 PM live were definitely out in the street and in flack jackets and helmets with bullets from both side flying overhead, then the BBC droveaway in a car, still live.
The only bit from a hotel was the one in the Gadalfi area who had to do as he was told
pierre_pierre
Grafter

your original post suggested that only sky used Immersat,  no mention of anything about times
my comment was that all use satalite
Infinity
Pro

Times.
« on Today at 00:44 »
My Libya Live....How SKY News is doing it post was at 00:44 am !

« Last Edit: Today at 00:51 by PlusComUK »

Quote from: pierre_pierre
dont know what you were watching, but the BBC and ITV at around 6 PM live were definitely out in the street

Meanwhile, BBC Reporter stays in his 5 star hotel room !

Let's not go round in circles on this.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I wasnt, just go back and look at your first post, it was just about Immersat, perhaps you should alter that when you wake up
Infinity
Pro

I was awake at 05:00, well before your first post, and having watched the live News reports from 23:30 through till 03:30 !
I replied to your first post at...
« Reply #2 on Today at 07:54 »
I cannot see that you have added anything constructive to this thread at all.
Not 6pm last night !
The information is all there in the thread opener.
Just let it go.
Community Veteran

Thanks for your post PlusComUK.  It looks like the end may be in sight for the regime.  David Cameron has returned from holiday and is chairing the National Security Council's Libya committee this morning.
Infinity
Pro

Footage from cameramen Jim Foster and Garwen McLuckie was beamed live via an Apple MacBook Pro, connected to a BGAN mini-satellite dish, while the whole setup was powered via a charger attached to their pick-up truck's cigarette lighter socket.
In the back of the vehicle, Andy Marsh, the producer, sat holding the satellite dish and a compass, constantly readjusting the dish to track the satellite above. The arrangement proved so stable that at one stage Crawford was able to broadcast live and uninterrupted for 40 minutes, answering questions from Stephen Dixon, Sky's anchor in London.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: PlusComUK
In the back of the vehicle, Andy Marsh, the producer, sat holding the satellite dish and a compass, constantly readjusting the dish to track the satellite above.

tracking the satellite,  thought a steady hand was all that is needed  Wink or was the truck moving?
Infinity
Pro

Moving truck, static satellite, relative to the ground. Synchronous orbit.
gswindale
Grafter

I hope the satellite was moving; as otherwise after a few hours it wouldn't be in view of the transmitter :-)
Does it really matter how they're covering it though?  BBC news is always higher quality than sky even if sky can actually put a person on the ground.
As pointed out the BBC reporter was holed up in a hotel room in Tripoli under instructions from the Libyans  - that was the only way he could broadcast.  Not too sure where the sky man was?
Different broadcasters do things differently; the BBC has to think about their fee-payers whereas Sky has only to think about shareholders profits.
Community Veteran

Yesterday's euphoria seems to have been a little premature.  The Arab Spring seems to have been a false dawn.
The rebels made a clear statement yesterday that they were holding Gaddafi's son but he's appeared on TV disproving that statement.  I'm sure the rebels are making progress but not at the pace they have announced.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

OOPS:- CNN gaff,

(there is a Tripoli in Lebanon, Gadhafi might be there)