cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Libya Conflict

geoffp0
Grafter

Libya Conflict

French Air Force planes are now flying over Benghazi jambing radar systems Roll eyes
Geoff
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Libya Conflict

deleted.....uncalled for
nadger
Rising Star

At least the French have been first to actually do something in Libya  Smiley
I wish to state clearly that the Italian Eurofighters aren't fitted with reverse gear  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Community Veteran

Most reports think that was a "rebel" plane brought down by their own AA fire!  Cry
And don't forget the French have the historical/colonial connection.  Wink
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger

I wish to state clearly that the Italian Eurofighters aren't fitted with reverse gear   Roll eyes

Looking at today's news they are the one country that is not fully supporting the action. 
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Big question now Is where Is Arab support? They better start showing up soon.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Oh dear It seems the Arab league Is not supporting the bombing, William Hague said they had strong support from them Undecided
Community Veteran

Perhaps you can show us the source of your info. It will help a sensible discussion.
Fixes: 47

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12798568
The head of the Arab League has criticised the bombardments.
His comments are significant because the Arab League's support for the no-fly zone was a key factor in getting UN Security Council backing for the resolution authorising the move.
"What is happening in Libya differs from the aim of imposing a no-fly zone, and what we want is the protection of civilians and not the bombardment of more civilians," said Arab League Secretary General Amr Moussa.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Thanks Strat.  Now we know what we are talking about. 
I suspect the bombing will cease shortly and the no-fly zone will then be implemented. The bombing is essential I guess to protect our forces in the future.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: artmo
The bombing is essential I guess to protect our forces in the future.
Lets rewind that, Was gaddaffi attacking us?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It must be said I don't actually like this idea of bombing Libya to be honest.
Enforcing a no-fly zone is one thing but dropping bombs when there hasn't even been a declaration of war? - That makes us just as bad if not worse.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I'm with you on that 100% okrzynska
johpal
Grafter

The Arab League is useless (Google that for dozens of hits in the last 7 days). My opinion is that they are a bunch of 'cry babies' who want their 'big brothers' (Western allies) to do their dirty work for them and fight the bad boys.
Why would they send land forces to Libya? The Egyptians, whilst euphoric from deposing Mubarak, are disorganised. The Saudis won't; they have enough worries about suppressing revolution from their own citizens, when they are not helping to beat up their neighbouring 'brothers' in Bahrain (reports from witnesses in Manama, broadcast on BBC radio, identified distinctive Saudi dialects from the armed forces attacking 'dissidents'). Look at the parlous nature of the other 20 states and you'll understand why they are incapable of forming a military coalition; they would be preparing for their own political suicide.
I notice David Cameron emphasises the word 'legal' when discussing Western intervention in Libya. Does this mean that Blair may yet not be off the hook, I wonder?
Footnote: When I worked in Saudi Arabia (albeit 25 years ago), the definition of a smart soldier was one who knew how to tie his own bootlaces, instead of treading down the back and shuffling around as if wearing some type of sandal!