cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lib Dems Mansion tax - Why am I not surprised by this

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Lib Dems Mansion tax - Why am I not surprised by this

In response to a question about the Lib Dems’ proposed Mansion tax, Margaret Beckett said that the Land Registry figures showed that there were only 86 properties worth over £2m.
It had to be pointed out to her that that the Land Registry figures were quoted in thousands and therefore one had to add three noughts to the figure.
It is a damning indictment of this Government’s understanding of the housing market that someone who was Minister of State for Housing and Planning until as recently as 5 June this year has so little understanding of such a basic fact relating to the housing market.
http://www.mortgagestrategy.co.uk/blogs/john-charcols-blog/margaret-beckett-displays-her-ignorance-o...
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Lib Dems Mansion tax - Why am I not surprised by this

Par for the course with some of this government journeys.  Whilst I don't think many of the Lib Dem policies are very workable, this one should certainly be considered.  People living in £2M+ properties should certainly contribute more to the economy.
Fixes: 105

£80,000 in stamp duty might already be considered a reasonable contribution!
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
.... People living in £2M+ properties should certainly contribute more to the economy.

I know a few people who fall in this category and I am sure they would not be best pleased in having to pay more. Oh, and they are not loaded, earn a lot or own the property in question, however they are living in it!
Lurker
Grafter

Those who have earned more have already paid more to society.
They don't place any greater burden on society, but they do contribute more via income tax etc. They also pay a greater stamp duty when they buy a property. They are also more likely to buy expensive goods, thereby contributing yet more.
Why do people seem to believe that the solution is to make them pay even more?
I don't really understand the logic, and all I can get back to is some sort of jealousy.
Am I being unfair?
Community Veteran

maybe it is a bit of jealousy - but at least they may be more able to pay than poor folk, or even people on average salaries
people who slog away at boring repetitive jobs may have worked just as hard in their own way.
But I agree you need to look at the starting figure as there are some properties that have a theoretical value - but the resisdents have a modest income - especialy retired folk.
Lurker
Grafter

Which is why its logical to continue taxing people at source and when they spend money- i.e. Income tax, VAT and Stamp duty.
If somebody has no income, why should they pay tax?
I pay more tax than my staff do, because I get paid more.
Why does the sort of house I live in make any difference whatsoever?
All it does is dissuade people from spending money within our economy.
Community Veteran

So you favour abolishing council tax too ? - I agree with that. Bring in local income tax  Smiley
I think that is Lib Dem policy is it not - and SNP - but they not doing it yet !
Lurker
Grafter

Definately abolish council tax.
The binmen are always down the pub with the bloody firemen round these parts (and the posties and bus drivers if truth be told!), and the police are generally crashing their cars rushing to get back to the station at shift end. (You think I'm jesting; I know of a few places where you will often see police cars pushing through traffic with blues and twos just before 6pm. If you follow them they always slow down as they approach the station, then they turn off blues and twos and pull into the station at normal pace, happens too often to be coincidence IMO!)
Half the pavements are impassable, and the streetlights don't work either.

Not really sure what the justification is in paying it.
Community Veteran

Take number plate, take photos if you can - and report to Chief Constable
But Bin men start very early - report to depot at about 6 or 7am, and they also drive your gritting lorries -
Firemen may not do a lot on some days - but when called do a job i bet many here couldn't or wouldn't do.
The fire service is the poor relation of the emergency services - i used to supply them with techy kit and often went to fire exhibitions etc.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Saw an add in the local paper for a Bin-man, starting salary £25k, with council executives earning > £150k, it about time there was a shake up in the town hall.

Community Veteran

The old saying "where there's muck there's brass" is still true.
One of the biggest houses around me is owned by someone who set up a hazardous waste removal company - about 2 large Range Rovers, a couple of big Mercs !
Community Veteran

Same here too.  One of the biggest property owners is the head of a skip hire company.  He was featured some time ago on the TV taking a cruise on the QE2.
Lurker
Grafter

The 'down the pub' reference was more related to industrial action. (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Seems they are all having a go at it at some stage in recent memory. Tongue
I guess the binmen wouldn't have been driving gritters at the minute had they still been on strike and refusing to drive bin lorries.
Denzil
Grafter

I know someone with a house that would probably qualify, but only because it has been in the family for 400 years! They are by no means loaded. I would have no problem with a mansion tax on those who can afford it, but there would have to be some way of telling the difference.