cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leveson: Who's bonkers?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Leveson: Who's bonkers?

Cameron promised it would be implemented in full if the recommendations were not bonkers With him now backtracking the conclusion is that either Leveson or Cameron is bonkers!
Some of the victims have launched a petition calling for full implementation. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20559833
My fear is that the draft legislation will be way above what Leveson called for and far more complicated than needed in the almost certain knowledge it will be rejected. I'd also suspect that Cameron has been told by the newspapers that if he doesn't get this killed off they will oppose him at the next general election.
I've signed the petition at http://hackinginquiry.org/ and also sent my MP an email.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Leveson: Who's bonkers?

I dunno jelv, I think we've reached a point in time where whatever happens we'll suffer in one way or another.
I think everyone knows the potential for abuse if legislation is brought in to keep the press under control yet we all know what may well happen if they are not brought under control.
Whatever happens, this isn't going to be solved the right way because for once there really are two sides to this story, both are correct, and there are two ways to fix it. Both of which are also correct but harmful at the same time.
I personally think that because Cameron said he would follow it through, he should stick to his word just like the EU referndum but then we're talking about an MP who has reached the top and now doesn't really care. I think thats bad. He says one thing and then does another. As a point of principle, he should stick by what he said not do a u-turn because he doesn't like it. He is a weak leader imo.
Having said that, we do need a reasonably free press to keep people like Cameron in order so in one sense he's protecting us from people like himself yet he's also refusing to take action to protect us from the hounds.
This really is a double edged sword.
As for who's really Bonkers.. Cameron. Leveson was brought in to do a job and he's done it. Cameron said he'd follow through and is now refusing. He's weak, dumb, stupid and utterly bonkers.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I've decided to make a positive contribution to the Leveson report and boycott all newspapers until further notice.
Get down to reading some sensible fiction for the winter.
Any recommendations?  Finally got Shogun from the mobile Library.
Community Veteran

Perhaps the results of recent local elections may give the Conservatory pause for thought. Most people can now see Cameron for what he really is and that's well described in the last paragraph of your post.
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
I've decided to make a positive contribution to the Leveson report and boycott all newspapers until further notice.
Get down to reading some sensible fiction for the winter.
Any recommendations?  Finally got Shogun from the mobile Library.
Excellent book, it will take you some time to get through that. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Cameron is not weak, dumb or stupid; it is just the press bosses have a firm grasp on his ear and have told him they'll sink the Conservatives at the next election if he doesn't behave.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Cameron is not weak, dumb or stupid; it is just the press bosses have a firm grasp on his ear and have told him they'll sink the Conservatives at the next election if he doesn't behave.

I don't think the press will need to help sink the Conservatives at the next election.
Community Veteran

Me neither. He's doing a damned good job of it himself already without the help of the media.
Besides, if that were true about them threatening to sink the tories, he'd be behind Leveson to keep them inline.
thejudge
Grafter

The press barons have been wilfully misleading, as you would expect.
They've being going on about a 'free press' as if we actually had one (hint: it's only 'free' for those who own the press). They yap on about how Leveson's recommendations would mean 'state licensing of newspapers' or some such chip-wrapping.
All that Leveson has recommended is that there should be an independent body to oversee what has been printed (with no power to prevent publication of anything in advance) and that - in order to ensure that independence, and that it can do its job properly - there has to be an underpinning in law for that body.
This hasn't stopped the papers from squealing like stuck pigs, of course.
Quote from: AlaricAdair
he press bosses have a firm grasp on his ear...

I think you'll find it's a bit lower than that...
Community Veteran

Quote from: jelv
I've signed the petition at http://hackinginquiry.org/ and also sent my MP an email.

The petition has just reached 100,000 signatories.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Quote from: jelv
just reached 100,000 signatories.

Already? How does this happen?
Petitions for things like that can reach 100K within days yet the FairFuelUK petition took months? - Everyone hates high fuel prices yet no-one can be bothered to do anything about it. Why is that?
Fixes: 47

See my sig. I am trying.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
Petitions for things like that can reach 100K within days yet the FairFuelUK petition took months? - Everyone hates high fuel prices yet no-one can be bothered to do anything about it. Why is that?

It's called freedom of expression.  Enough people felt strongly enough about it Wink Wink
FYI it is reported in the Sunday Times today that the chancellor will cancel the 3p increase and also give consideration to cancelling the FDE completely.
Community Veteran

The Government don't like to see any reduction in the money it gets from us, even when petitions are successful you can be 100% sure they will find some other way to get the money out of us.