cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letter to the Times re Hangover Cures - Yuck!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Letter to the Times re Hangover Cures - Yuck!!

HANGOVER CURE
Sir, Further to your article on hangover cures (Times2, Dec 19), years ago I worked as the barman in a small country hotel near Savernake Forest in Wiltshire. One of my customers was often in need of a hangover cure and he told me of the famed “prairie oyster”. Made with a raw egg (leaving the yolk intact), Worcester sauce, salt and pepper and two or three dashes of Tabasco, it was to be drunk in one gulp. One should avoid asking for it in Canada, however, where it is the name given to a dish made of bulls’ testicles.

8 REPLIES
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Letter to the Times re Hangover Cures - Yuck!!

There's only one certain cure for a hangover..stay drunk. Wink

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
jab1
Champion
Fixes: 8

Actually, @Pete11, there is he other one - my preference - don't get drunk.Angel

In all seriousness, following an 10-hour bender one day about 35 years ago, I don't drink at all.

John
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

After that amount of time on a bender..I wouldn't drink either, must have been some party.  Cheesy

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
jab1
Champion
Fixes: 8

Sorry @Pete11 -must learn to look at keyboard when typing - and proof-read. Amended now.

John
Fixes: 229

A hearty meal with a pint of milk a couple of hours before going out plus two or three pints of water when I got home kept hangovers at bay.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I find drinking quality alcohol rather than cheap booze makes for a better day after... Smiley

Costs more too so you drink less of it... Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

jab1 wrote:

Actually, @Pete11, there is he other one - my preference - don't get drunk.Angel

In all seriousness, following an 10-hour bender one day about 35 years ago, I don't drink at all.

You are a quick learner, took me a long time for that message to sink in, it was always never again.....until the next time.

Don't drink as much these days and certainly do not get drunk, more likely to fall asleep after a couple of pints. Smiley

On a more serious note I wonder if many people drink just to be one of the team, offering to drive can be a good excuse to keep sober but it was not uncommon years ago and maybe amongst some young people these days you were expected to drink.

At least years ago you could take your time and enjoy the drink, these days the aim for some is to consume more than anyone else in the group in the fastest time possible......can't see any enjoyment in that.

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

The longer opening hours of pubs etc. was supposed to make us become more Continental in our drinking habits according to Mr Blair.  I see no evidence of that.