cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letter of Apology.

Fixes: 347

Letter of Apology.

If you are involved in an accident with another car where you are to blame and the other driver is injured, is a letter of apology sufficient to avoid prosecution? 

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 70.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Letter of Apology.

I wouldn't have thought so @Strat and I don't think the Insurance Company would be keen on the admission of liability regardless, it would also prove the individual's guilt thus making them liable to prosecution and could end up having the opposite effect.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 29

@Strat wrote:

If you are involved in an accident with another car where you are to blame and the other driver is injured, is a letter of apology sufficient to avoid prosecution? 

I doubt it,.... but think of the "resale" value to collectors of royal letters !

Fixes: 369

Although it goes against the grain of common decency and politeness in the event of an accident never admit liability whether directly or by apology. It's why we pay high premiums to the insurers - it's their job to sort things out on our behalf. Having worked for car insurance claims they are very skilled at assessing the positions of the cars, damage to either, etc in order to determine who is at fault.

The best thing you can do is be prepared for such an accident by knowing how to administer first aid - and stay calm!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@Strat wrote:

It depends on who you are.

:wink:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Can you be fined for not wearing a seat belt ?

Again it depends on who you are.

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

As a Knight of the Garter would a garter belt be an acceptable substitute?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 29

I don`t think that would hold up in court.... !

Community Veteran

Your alibi could let you down:wink:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Didn't you just love the way the details of the royal accident unfolded. The BBC bravely reporting about alleged speeding motorists and locals complaining the road is used as a rat run. Even though it's an A road. No mention of looking right and left.

Maybe someone should have pointed out to Phil what would have happened if it was a motorcyclist and how badly things could have gone.

But no it looks like just another day another new car.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I doubt it would do anyone any favours but if worded correctly and pointing out various negative qualities about oneself (eg suffering from stress / relationship breakup / loss of a loved one etc) then the powers that be would be more likely to be lenient.

But as others have said, it's also going to be seen as an admission.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!