Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lets go Further

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Lets go Further

For all our sake's, let's go further than phasing out the use of single-use plastic bags, let's ban their use altogether.

I for one have always thought it utter nonsense to charge for these things when all we had to do was to stop giving and then selling them as if that was OK.

Never had the blinking things in my day, so let's stop using and producing them these days.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/may/24/tesco-launches-trial-phase-out-of-5p-plastic-bag...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Lets go Further

I'm still using my rucksack that I've been using for the past few years, and have used a rucksack for at least the past 12 years, only resorting to carrier bags when I needed the additional cargo space, and that said, I still have three "single-use" pre-charge bags on the go, so to say they're single-use is a bit silly, they can be used over and over if they're of a decent plastic, and of course I have a cloth bag bought from Lidl about 10 years ago which gets used a lot, with a few disdainful looks from the te$co staff, they don't like other stores being advertised in theirs... Grin

Steve
Pro

At one point I would of agreed but the money they make go to good causes and we can't get enough of them in this day and age.

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

@twocvbloke I know exactly what you mean about the te$co staff as they can be such snobs Wink Fortnum's and Masons use paper bags and they go in the compost (unless Ii use them in te$co).Smiley

I also use a rucksack and the only time I take plastic is for putting my meat in and they are complementary in the te$co as the F&M paper bags go soggy and me meat falls out.Sad

The real problem is all plastics and they all last too long and all make both primary and secondary micro-plastic, which is now everywhere.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microplastics

What is wrong with brown paper bags? And it gives gainful employment for local winkle-bag printers too. http://winklebag.com/index.php?/history/winklebag-history/

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
Community Veteran

Leapy wrote:What is wrong with brown paper bags?

Sadly it's all the trees that have to be cut down to make them (and given all the hoo-har about pollution and decimal points of percentages of deaths being caused by it, trees are needed, badly), cloth bags on the other hand, reusable, they can be made out of many different materials, and they last for years if looked after... Smiley

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Who knew there were so many sadomasochists on the forum.

I can think of no other reason for subjecting oneself to supermarkets
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

It isn't quite as simple as they will have us believe: http://www.bankrate.com/finance/smart-spending/paper-plastic-whats-environmentally-correct-choice.as...

I've never paid for a plastic bag; a few years ago most of the main supermarkets issued 'bags for life' which I use.  However, these bags have become thinner and less durable over the years so very soon they won't last much longer than the old style carrier bags.

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

twocvbloke wrote:

Leapy wrote:What is wrong with brown paper bags?

Sadly it's all the trees that have to be cut down to make them (and given all the hoo-har about pollution and decimal points of percentages of deaths being caused by it, trees are needed, badly), cloth bags on the other hand, reusable, they can be made out of many different materials, and they last for years if looked after... Smiley

@twocvbloke Paper making trees are farmed and more are planted than cropped. Only soft wood is used for paper as slow growing hardwood is unsuitable. All paper (yes ALL) is made with some recycled paper and almost all recycled paper has some virgin wood pulp added (because short fibres make paper that bends too much for machines).

I agree that cotton is more sustainable, but its not without environmental sustainability concerns http://wwf.panda.org/about_our_earth/about_freshwater/freshwater_problems/thirsty_crops/cotton/

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Jonpe wrote:

I've never paid for a plastic bag; a few years ago most of the main supermarkets issued 'bags for life' which I use.  However, these bags have become thinner and less durable over the years so very soon they won't last much longer than the old style carrier bags.

Over the years, we have filled an unused Wheelie bin with 'bags for life', still going through them a year on... mostly for household disposal purposes.

We do purchase some 'bags for life', from Heron, they are very substantial and used for all sorts of purposes including storage in the garages.

We get a strange look when we go into Heron and ask for 20 bags........... that's £1 !!

They sit in the car boots, great for large food shops. They fold up quite large, a bit too large to keep in your pockets though.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Steve wrote:

At one point I would of agreed but the money they make go to good causes and we can't get enough of them in this day and age.

Sadly there won't be any good causes left if we don't protect the environment.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

let's ban their use altogether.

That's it really. We all like to think we are doing our bit but in the grand scheme of things I know that what I'm doing, regarding plastic bags, will have no effect whatsoever.

Either the government bans them or doesn't. At the moment they are doing nothing more than saying using them is fine.

In supermarket check outs buying half a dozen plastic bags has just become part of the weekly shop for many.

Just the same with disposable coffee cups. The only thing the government is interested in is how can the treasury benefit.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

I just get fed up with the consumer getting the blame for using stuff they did not produce in the first place. If it's bad for the environment (and how we always supposed to know) then stop making it. Remember those polystyrene egg cartons - or do they still produce and provide those as well? Crazy2

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Pete11
Pro

Eh? You can't ban plastic bags, what will I wrap my sarnies in when I go fishing? Undecided Seriously though, if they made them more bio-degradable then personally I can't see a problem with them IF they are disposed of in the right way.

And yes Minivanman...those polystyrene egg cartons are still on the shelves in local shops here. 

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Leapy
Aspiring Pro

What do you think ends up eating the micro-plastics that biodegradable bags break down  in the environment?Roll eyes

Its all economic damage limitation called "Greenwashing" to make the gullible feel good.Undecided

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/cif-green/2009/jun/18/greenwash-biodegradeable-plastic-bags

Community Veteran

Leapy wrote:
I agree that cotton is more sustainable, but its not without environmental sustainability concerns http://wwf.panda.org/about_our_earth/about_freshwater/freshwater_problems/thirsty_crops/cotton/

There's not just cotton out there that can be used to make cloth, there's also Hemp, which when processed properly results in a material that rivals cotton, and is a lot more sustainable and cheaper to grow, it's just not favoured due to business types making sure that politicians were told to ban hemp by stating it's just like cannabis, therefore making it illegal (when it's far from being anything like it), and favour cotton for the highly profitable cotton industries in certain countries with states that are united and claim to speak english... Smiley