cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let there be There isn't bed reading light.

Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Let there be There isn't bed reading light.

We have a pair of reading lights on the wall behind our bed. One has gone wrong, we think, having tried a number of bulbs and getting no illumination. Operation is pull switch.

I am the original two-left- feet-on-the-right-hand sort of guy, and wonder how to go about solving, repairing the light, even if parts are available. Modern lights seem to rely on electronic switching.

Guys?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Re: Let there be There isn't bed reading light.

My first thought is that a wire has come loose

Can you first check the pull switch - are there two wires attached to each terminal- in other words are the lights connected in series or parallel - if there is only one wire attached to each terminal then they will be in series and the next thing to check is the wiring attached to each light assuming that you can actually get at the back

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

As @Oldjim says it could simply be that a wire has come loose.

Turn the electricity off then take off the cover on the light to get a look at the wiring on the faulty light, if it looks ok then look at the wiring on the other light, if nothing is amiss it could be the mechanical switch that needs replacing, depending on the age of the lights that may not be a easy task.

Failing that you could buy a couple of new wall lights, I imagine they are not all that expensive.

Smiley

Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Thanks guys, @gleneagles Buying new lights raises a problem. If the attachment to the wall is much smaller than now, new wall paper. Ouch!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 2

Usually if its the type of pull s/w I am thinking of,the rocker part becomes stuck, if you isolate the power try connecting the two wires going through the s/w together, then s/w power back on, if the light works then, you have proved the s/w is faulty, and replace it with something like this :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wall-light-replacement-small-pull-cord-switch-all-in-white/152783608224?e...