Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let the train take the strain?

archerry
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Let the train take the strain?

Glad we are not dependent on the railway just now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57036247: High-speed rail services cancelled after cracks found in tra... 

Are these coaches a generic design, or did BR insist on bespoke specifications?
No doubt several IMechE members will be involved in investigating the root cause, and the control actions. It will be interesting to read their analysis afterwards.

Regards,
Alistair

12 REPLIES 12
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: Let the train take the strain?

From what I have read..... it appears that Hitachi, are doing all the investigation work....  but I did not find out , ( from what I read) where these cracks have manifested themselves.... 

Strat
Fixes: 514

In the chassis allegedly.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 89.0.1 (64-bit)

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@archerry wrote:

Glad we are not dependent on the railway just now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57036247: High-speed rail services cancelled after cracks found in tra... 

No doubt several IMechE members will be involved in investigating the root cause, and the control actions. It will be interesting to read their analysis afterwards.

Regards,
Alistair

Good question but irrespective of a standard or bespoke specification tests must have been carried out before being put into mass production.

A spokesperson said it was not a easy fix so delays are going to continue for some time.

The good news is that the problem was spotted before a accident occurred.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@archerry wrote:

They were good at what they did years ago but BR was finally wound up just a few years back - or what was left of them. BR hasn't had anything to do with trains for years - especially the building side of it.

I have a hunch that Hitachi have been fiddling with train design basics - probably being economical with things like the amount of raw metal used. BR didn't do things by half, they did proper stuff.

I bought a usb hard drive years ago made by Hitachi, it went back the next day, it was clunking and making all sorts of awful noises. Terrible thing it was and i've never thought of Hitachi in a good way since.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 74

@7up British Rail hasn't existed for quite a few years - sorry but I forget how many, and a friend of mine who was in their management team for many years took early retirement partly because of to quote him 'crazy policies from the Board'.

It is quite likely - but we will never know - that corners/costs were cut (I spy beans), in which case I hope whoever made the decisions no longer has a job.

I've had a Hitachi desktop external for a good 5 years - possibly longer - in constant use, and yep, it is tad noisy, but only under stress, using it for data and system back-ups, I only really hear it when I do the back-up verification.

John
7up
Community Veteran

British Rail as a train operator hasn't operated yes however they still existed for 19-20 years after they ceased operating. They renamed and became British Railways Board Residuary - their website even quoted "we no longer operate trains". They still owned all their previous companies (by official records & name at least - BR Engineering for example) however these were eventually struck off at companies house. Their entire focus changed from railway operating to dismantling the remains of the disused lines - selling off land, buildings, demolishing listed viaducts etc and dealing with compensation claims. 

The government finally killed them off when they went on the hunt against quangos. This only happened around 6-7 years back.

jab1
Seasoned Hero

I know all that, thanks - although I didn't realise it was that recently that they had finally been laid to rest.

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

... and there was me thinking BR had been sold off to Deutsche Reichsbahn back in the 80s - which is why they introduced those Panzer field caps.

Goes to show what I know. 

10768787215_71766d5872_b.jpg

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
jab1
Seasoned Hero

Oi, @Minivanman - I've got one (that shape), but without the badge - and a soft visor. Never worked for the railways, though.😀

John
7up
Community Veteran

@jab1 wrote:

I know all that, thanks - although I didn't realise it was that recently that they had finally been laid to rest.

Infact slightly longer (though it doesn't seem like it to me): 30 September 2013 was when they officially closed down.

However even then that was a delayed date - they were supposed to close down earlier but i was informed by the boss of BRBR (Peter Trewin) back then that their closure date had been postponed until September. At the time i hoped that there might be a miracle and they might survive yet another axe but come september they really did close for good. Shame.. that was the final part of BR to survive.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

My Hitachi 22" flat screen TV from Argos is coming up to its 10th birthday and is not showing any sign of cracks in the undercarriage or any other signs of wear and tear.  I've probably jinxed it now by saying this.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Biggest change over that time seems to have been the quality plus the number if inputs and outputs at the back of 'em. Don't seem to see SCART sockets anymore so what's to go next, those phono plugs that seem to have been around for ever and a day? 

Oh yes, and they are also getting bigger. Tiny (smaller than ours) cottage just down the road from us, has a flat screen TV  that seems to take up the entire wall. Not being nosey by the way but walking past you cannot avoid the alien like glare!

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.