Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's be careful out there.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Let's be careful out there.

I shouldn't laugh but a did at the news about a gull that snatched a pet Chihuahua from a garden in Devon. "It carried Gizmo a fair way as we couldn't see him anymore...."

Had a workmates who suffered a really nasty head injury after being attacked by a large bird while he was installing a satellite dish on a customer's roof so again, not funny and a good idea if not on a roof but out in the sun eating your chips or licking an ice cream, that they do not get carried off by some greedy guts gull.

Let's be careful out there. Thumbs_Up

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
13 REPLIES 13
idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: Let's be careful out there.

I'm surprised someone hasn't thought about starting up and selling the nation's favourite....sea gull pie! Certainly from my last seaside visit, sea gulls are becoming a nuisance  If they don't plop on you, their nicking your chips or worse, your fish.

Just hope Gizmo went quickly. There's a video on Youtube where an eagle picks up a full grown goat and proceeds to drop it from some altitude! Needless to say, the goat wasn't doing much afterwards.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@idonno 

I've got to agree, they're a bloody nuisance.

Until relatively recently it was permissible to shoot them under the General Licence referred to in another recent thread, but I believe that's no longer the case.  Now it's necessary to apply for an individual licence which apparently is free but requires a several page form to be submitted and other complications to be complied with.

Even though they have learned to no longer attempt to nest on our roof the occasional young pre-flight ones sometimes appear in the garden from somewhere - only a couple of days ago I steered one out into the street using a small branch which entailed being threatened by a gang of airborne adults.  Before the change in licence requirements it would have met a sticky end in the garden.  

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

A number of years ago we stayed in a small fishing village in the South, apart from the racket the gulls made there was also the problem of bird droppings, the place stank.

Last place I would want to live.

Not sure if it's true but feeding seagulls with food laced with Soda Bicarbonate gets rid of them. ( Not fatilly)

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just done a search regarding Sodium Bicarbonate and Seagulls it would appear to work but if the video titles are anything to go by they explode in mid airHuh  Making a lot more mess than a poo!

OK, thought I'd brave it and watch one. All fake it would appear.

RobPN
Hero

When I was a kid the stuff to use in the bread was Calcium Carbide, which in those days was fairly easy to get hold of, not so easy nowadays.

Even though it produces the flammable gas acetylene when mixed with water, the flammability wasn't the reason for using it.  No, it was the fact that it effervesces furiously thus producing a large amount of gas.

It used to stink though if damp, and as soon as you formed the bread around it it would start reacting with the moisture in the bread, but gulls not being fussy what they eat didn't seem to be bothered by the smell.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I find it hard to believe that a Herring Gull could have been capable of this as in the original report. Maybe a Black Headed Gull, unless the Herring Gull was some sort of mutant Hulk freak.

RobPN
Hero

@billnotben wrote:

... Maybe a Black Headed Gull, ...

@billnotben 

Are you confusing the above with the Black Backed Gull which is much larger, having a wingspan of about 5ft. maybe more?

They don't seem to be much of a problem compared to the [-Censored-]e-hawks herring gulls.

Black-headed gull

Great black-backed gull

Edit: added links

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

It does amaze me given the price of a bag of chips these days why people insist on feeding the blighters - wasting money and encouraging them. Sure I read somewhere that by-laws are in place to prevent or at least deter the practice.

That's feeding seagulls by the way, not buying chips.

Not been there for years, but is it true that the pigeons have now all gone from Trafalgar Square? Used to feed them back in the day and when you could buy a cup of corn for 6d which at the time I thought was a simply outrageous price!  Used to feed the sparrows as well in St James's Park and amazing how they would just come down and land onto your hand two or three at a time.

But gulls? Knuppel  

tumblr_ns1498wqWd1rldhmro8_640.jpg

Anybody recognise this lovely lady from the 60s?

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
billnotben
Community Veteran

@RobPN wrote:

Are you confusing the above with the Black Backed Gull

Yes.

I knew there was black in there somewhere. When side by side with Herring Gulls they look half as big again. Not so many around but on some shore areas I visit they seem to dominate the high places waiting to swoop down.

I see on that linked page it confirms what Black Back Gulls eat. Omnivorous - shellfish, birds, carrion, and chihuahuas.Smiley

The black headed one looks more of a Tern than Gull. If there is a real difference.

RobPN
Hero

Where I live herring gulls are probably well over 95% of the gull population, very rarely are black headed gulls seen, whilst there are a squadron or two of the larger black backed gulls which are seen occasionally.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

@Minivanman wrote:

tumblr_ns1498wqWd1rldhmro8_640.jpg

Anybody recognise this lovely lady from the 60s?

First name that came to mind was Patricia - took a while to recall Driscoll.

Julie was (is?) a lovely lady too. Any relation?

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
billnotben
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

Anybody recognise this lovely lady

That picture reminded me of the almost identical looking one with my dear old Mum and Dad in. I'm guessing that for every cup of corn seller there was also a photographer selling their wares.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@RobPN 

Calcium carbide.....used to use that for our lamps when we went down pot holes in Yorkshire....over 50 years ago.

Second hand miners battery lamps were available but expensive for someone at the age I was then.

So as you say calcium carbide does indeed give off a good amount of gas.

We are born into history and history is born into us.